Chapter Six~

Sun poured through the clouds and into the stone surrounded hollow. Sleeping warriors filled a hawthorn bush next to a boulder with a den carved inside. A dark ginger she-cat padded out of a den near the top of a jagged rock the loomed near the side of the camp.

She skidded down the rocks face, a few pebbles dislodging from under her claws. As her front paws hit the muddy ground underneath the slide, she padded towards the center of the clearing.

Three cats stalked out of the hawthorn bush, one opening his jaws into a huge yawn, while the tabby gray she-cat sneezed. A golden-brown tom stretched, rolling his shoulders as drew each claw separately.

A young, light tabby she-cat hopped out of a den on the opposite side of the clearing, her fur spiked with anticipation.

"You're awake." The ginger tom nodded towards the young she-cat.

She nodded, "I've been awake for ages."

"Good." The dark orange she-cat dipped her head, still blinking sleep from her green eyes.

The white tom that had walked out of the warriors den with the two other cats, sighed, "How are you like this?" He hissed, his long hair still bunched and ruffled from his sleep.

The apprentice tilted her head to the side, still kneading the muddy ground with her front paws, "Like what?"

"Chipper at dawn." The ginger tom growled, clearly not mentally prepared for the patrol.

The gray she-cat nudged the tom, "Lighten up a bit Brackenfur. This is Sandpaws first dawn patrol."

"And I want to do it right." The apprentice meowed, puffing out her chest fur - as if to stand as tall as the warriors.

The dark ginger she-cat nodded towards the white tom, "Reset the WindClan border, then circle around and spray the rogue border. Pick up a few pieces of prey in the clearing if there's time."

"But be back before sun-up." He rolled his clear blue eyes, "We know Squirrelflight."

The ThunderClan deputy sighed, "Just make sure not to go near the fox den."

"Which one." Sandpaw huffed, "The forest seems to be crawling with the stinking fur-balls."

Brackenfur glared at his apprentice, "Just stay quiet and listen or you'll be cleaning the elders den until next Gathering."

"No thank you." The sandy bronze apprentice squeaked, "Ratscar stinks! He seems to have more flees than Purdy."

The gray warrior shook her head in exasperation, "What my father's trying to tell you, is that be observant and don't cause trouble."

"See?" The white tom purred, "Cinderheart's got the right idea."

Brackenfur shook his head, "Come on. We should get going. Cloudtail, scout ahead will you."

The white tom laughed before walking ahead of the older warrior and towards the bramble tunnel.

"Hang on Cloudtail!' Sandpaw squeaked, "I want to lead!"

Cinderheart watched with amusement as the young cat bounded across the clearing towards the senior warrior.

"You'd better get running or she'll have beat you all to the WindClan border." Squirrelflight purred, her gaze hardening after a moment, "Report back to Tigerheart and I as soon as you get back."

Brackenfur dipped his head, "Of course. Cloudtail and myself will give a full report."

The ginger tom padded after his patrol, Sandpaw talking excitedly to Cinderheart, while Cloudtail lowered his head to exit camp.