ch14

ch14 Sweeney's POV

I wake up to the sun shining directly in my face i groan and roll over my hand landing on something soft and warm. I open my eyes not remembering where i am i look and see nellie sleeping next to me a small smile crosses my face. She looks so beautiful sleeping there. My eyes travel to her soft berry colored lips. Being brave i lean in slowly and kiss them, she stirs but doesn't wake. I notice her nightgown has risen up and is revealing most of her thighs. I run my hand along the length of her leg. She really is a bloody wonder. I stand up and put my shoes and cote on. I walk back up to my shop and tidy up a bit before opening. I sit there sharping my razors humming to myself.

"Sir" a young man asks hesitantly coming into the shop. Hes maybe fifteen or so with dark brown hair and green eyes.

"How can i help you" i say i'm in a rather good mood today and don't feel much like killing plus the bay is so young so naive he hasn't had the chance to live yet.

" i was wondering if i might have a shave sir" he asks i can tell he's a bit nervous probably his first time ever in a barbershop surprised his father did come with him. I remember my dad took me to a barber the first time i got a shave. Even though he was a barber himself he had one of his close friends give me a shave. He said it was part of the experience.

"Of course have a seat" i say i take the boys jacket and hang it up i then mix the lather and place it on his face. After that day my father taught me how to shave i became his apprentice for a good year before he died then i took over his shop. It was odd being so young but i was skilled nonetheless. My mother helped me as much as she could but she wasn't always in good health.

"There you are" i say finishing up on the boy i hand him a towel and he wipes his face he reaches into his pocket for change but i shake my head.

"Free of charge the first time. Have to promise to come back though" i say wiping off the razor and placing it on the table.

"I will sir thank you" the lad says with a big smile on his face that make he chuckle her grabs his cote and leaves. I wonder if i'll have a son or daughter. I have johanna but i missed her childhood. I was there for her first steps and first words but everything after that. If i have a son i wonder if he'll want to be a barber like me. I would never force him to follow in my footsteps but you never know.

"Mr Todd help please its mum" toby says bursting through my door loudly causing me to jump once i process what he says i jump out of the chair.

"Wear is she" i ask as me and the boy run down the stares into the shop.

"The the bathroom sir she wouldn't let me in told me to get you and the doctor" toby states and i nod.

"Go get the doctor and i'll go to her" i reply and toby runs off i run through the parlor and to nellie's room i get to a door wear there is a connected bathroom and i nock.

"Nell it's me what wrong pet" i call i hear a faint crying from the other side i open the door and see nellie on the floor with a pool of blood around her she's sitting up leaning the the basin for support but her eyes close and she starts to fall i cather her just befor her head hits the ground.

"nellie .. nellie " i call turning her face towards me her breathing is light and shallow and her eyes remaining closed i picked her up from the blood stained floor and bring her to the bed slip off her nightgown and grab a new clean one. My heart rate speeds up i hope she and the baby will be ok i hear the door opening and loud footsteps.

"Mr todd" doctor higgens call he toby leads him to the bedroom.

"Alright both of you step out while i take a look at her" he says i put a hand on tobys shoulder and we walk out i start to pace putting my hand to my mouth i bite my thumb nail i can't help but remember the first time the good doctor was here right after i hurt nellie and he told me she was pregnant.

"Do you think she'll be ok" toby asks i can tell he's fighting back tears i sigh and look at him.

"I don't know" i reply honestly a few minutes the door opens and the doctor walks out me and toby both stand up.looking at him expentintly

" she had a hemorrhage and lost a lot of blood she will be fine but it's hard to tell with the child since it's so early all we can do is hope" he says sympathetically i lump forms in my throat and i nod he places a hand on my shoulder then leaves i walk into the room and see nellie there sleeping she stirs and her eyelids flutter open.

"Sweeney what happened" she asks pushing herself up carefully her face twist in pain a bit and i go sit by her on the bed.

"You had a hemorrhage the doctor came, he said you were fine but he.... He" i say placing my head in my hands taking a deep breath i don't know how to tell her providence has not been kind to us.

" he what sweeny" she says i can hear the fear and tension in her voice. She bits her lips in anxiety her warm eye look carefully at me.

"He wasn't sure about the baby you lost a lot of blood" i reply and she hitches her birth a small tear runs down her face and i hold her carefully in my arms as she cries

" i'm sorry sweeney" she chokes out in a sob and i run my hand over her thick hair. She's apologizing for something out of her control, if anything it's my fault for putting her under so much stress .

" don't apologize pet it'll be ok he wasn't for sure there's still hope" i reply i think more to myself then to her we sit there crying together for what seems like a long time.