ch16

Ch16 Sweeney's

I see the way that man is eyeing up nellie and it makes my blood boil the way his eyes travel up and down her body every once in awhile. At least he has some restraint unlike some men but even so. And when nellie leans seductively over the counter i want to scream at her. Her low cut dresses leave very little to the imagination. To top it off he's looking for the guards i killed, nellie is quick on her feet and cover for us but still. After i leave i stand just behind the door listen in.

"Mrs Lovett sir" she says sweetly i look out and see a slight smile on her full red lips. I see her stare up at him with the slightest bit of admiration in her eyes and my heart breaks. She use to look at me this way. She still does but not as often as she use to.

"Well Mrs Lovett thank you for your time, i might have to stop by for a pie some time" the man replies and is standing entirely to close to her. To my horror he grabs one of her hands and kisses it. I have the sudden urge to run my blade across his throat but i can't it would be to risky. I here nellie mumble something as i storm into the room heading for the door and locking it. I stare after the guard is he fades into the distance.

"I didn't think they would send the law out so soon after the guards but i think we'll be alright" she say babbling a bit she starts to make pies on the counter rolling out the dough.

"As long as he doesn't come snooping around" i mumble in a deep voice staring out the window. Its mid afternoon now and it's raining out. It always seems to be raining in london.

"Now you leavin him out of it he's just doing his job" she says placing a had on her hip her dark hair placed massively on the top of her head. I wave of jealousy takes over me. Is she daft he is investigating the disappearance of four men we murdered.

"If he gets to close nell" i say trying not to raise my voice at her. It's no use getting in a fight especially when she just moved back home not to mention she doesn't need anymore stress that could hurt the baby.

"He won't i'll make sure of it" she says and smiles to herself a bit making me look at her questionly.

"What does that mean" i ask and se grabs a tray of uncooked pies and walks towards the door just smiling to herself.

"nellie " i call and she stops right as she places her pale hand on the door.

"It means he's a man dear and we all know the one thing that vexes all men" she says somewhat cryptically before walking out the door down to the bake house. I think about what she said for a moment understanding. The one thing that vexes all men, that can bring him back to sanity or to the edge of madness. A women.

"What vexes all men indeed" i whisper to myself. I walk up to my shop and tidy up a bit before opening. Does she really intend to offer herself as bait to this guard if he gets to suspicious. I can't possibly let her do that . she's pregnant for god's sake. And obviously so, not that she still isn't attractive. It's a clever idea but to put herself in danger like that. I finish sharpening my raisers and i'm about to go and talk to nellie when i see her shop is already filled with customers. I sight deciding to talk to her tonight. I flip my sign to open. A few man walk in and out with clean shaven faces while two devils meet there maker.

"What can i do for you today sir" i say and my polite voice as a tall man with a nice site comes in. he's obviously rich and educated.

"A shave is all" he replies i take his cote and he loosens his tie to reveal his neck to me. His thick brown hair is a bit long for my liking and could use a trim but i don't say anything..

"And how are you today sir" i ask filling the silence i always have a series of questions i ask before killing someone, seeing if anyone will miss them or come looking for them. It's a rather long and boring process but it does defuse the slightly awkward silence at the beginning of a shave.

" alright a bit tired perhaps been a long week" he says as i smooth the lather over his face. Its a damp friday afternoon around four oclock. From the sound outside the dinner crowd is already flocking into nellies shop.

" that it has, forgive me but a man like you seems a bit out of place it a town like this" i say referring to his social status as i sharpen my razor once more to stretch out the time.

"Yes will i am a lawer on a case defending some man at the old bailey case just ended today this whole week i haven't had a chance to keep up appearances" he explains as a start to shave the slight beard on his face the man is maybe a few years younger than me by the looks of it.

"Ah and did you win you case" i ask in mild churictoy. Someone as well off as him i don't think i could kill him without an investigation.

" no the blinker was guilty to begin with, didn't really try" he states half heartedly and i tighten my grip on the razor. How is it that one man can hold the fate of another in his hand and be so careless.

"Oh" i reply simply i want to drag my razor across his flesh so bad. I can just make out the dark blue vein that runs along his neck even the slightest flick of my razor could brake the tender flesh causing preshus rubies to fall.

"Yes men like him always are poor naive and a tiefe to boot" he says bitterly. An obvious bius to the lower class. I grit my teeth and try to steady my breathing. I finish shaving him and wipe his face he pays then leaves walking down the stairs. Its men like him that ruined this world. Men like him and turpin who look down on us lesser folks just because we are no in a d=similar financial situation as them. I take a deep breath and step outside on the small landing for some air. I look at the crowd and see toby waiting on tables and mrs lovett running around with a tray of pies. I do wish she would sit down and take a rest. My eyes follow her to a table with a single man sitting at it. She stays at the table longer than she normally would obviously chatting with the man. Upon closer inspection i recognize the man as the guard from before.

"What is she doing" i says to myself as i walk down the stairs she i her her deep and seductive laugh as i come up to the shop right before she walks away. I follow her to the counter where she leans against the wall taking a sip of water from a glass.

"Mr T wot in heavens are you doing down here" she say setting the glass aside as she starts to make a fresh set of pies.

"That officer is here i came to check on you" i say hesitantly not knowing what else to say she's a grown women and can take care of herself i just worry about her.

"I'm fine dear, he's harmless really" she says trying to reassure me but i shake my head. Outward appearances are not always what they seem to be.

"But he's one of them nell i just.." i start to say

"Now look here, i can take care of myself sweeney i've done it my whole life" she says raising her voice a bit and slamming her rolling pin in the cutting board causing a few people to look at us

" i'm no stranger to cruel men Mr Todd you of all people should know that" she states in a low voice as she walks off with a fresh tray of pies. I feel a wave of guilt take over me. I can't help but wonder who she was referring to when she said cruel man. Me, albert, the man who tried to hurt her all last year, or all of thee above