ch23

Ch23 sweeney's pov.

I wake up in a jump hearing a loud screeching sound. I had fallen asleep on the couch earlier from exhaustion. I run to the bedroom and take annabell out of her crib, and i tap her hip racking her gently. She stop crying once i picked her up i check to see if her nappy needs to be changed but it doesn't. With the baby in my arms i walk to toby's room to see if the crying woke him up, it didn't the boy is a heavy sleeper.

"There there little one" i whisper taking her to the parlor with me. There are still a few embers from the fire left i slowly dance with the baby in my arms trying my best to calm her. Once her breathing steadied i place her back in her bed. I look over in the pail candle light at nellie who is still unconscious. I kneel down by her and place my head on her chest trying to make out a heartbeat, eventually i do its faint but there.

"Come back to us" i whisper baring my face in the sheets.

"Mr T" a voice calls me and i wake up rubbing my eyes i see toby standing in the doorway i must have fallen asleep like this.

"Yes what is it lad" i ask standing up and stretching annabelle is still fast asleep i walk out of the room closing the door behind me.

"I could watch over them if you wanted to open the shop" he says hesitantly after a moment of silence i think about it for a moment, i have to make an income somehow nellie has some money saved up i know but when she wakes up i want to move us down by the sea.

"Thats a good idea thank you toby, i'll make us something to eat before i open" i say and i turn on the burner and start to make some porridge for us. We eat in silence until i hear the baby start to cry i get up and get her carrying her back into the kitchen.

"Are you hungry dove" i say and she giggles at me making me smile i feed her quickly before handing her to toby.

"Now i'm just upstairs if you need anything just call or come get me" i say he nods and i kiss annabell on the head before going up to the shop. I sharpen my friends trying to calm myself. I don't know what i'd do if nellie doesn't wake up. Could i really be a single father.

"Nelli.. Nellie" i her a deep voice shout banging on the door down stairs i walk over and look out the window to see jack. He spots me from above then walks over to the stars as i glare looking down at him.

"What the hell did you do to her wear is she" he ask in a bitter voice and i grit my teeth how dare he accuse me of hurting her.

"Shes inside but shes asleep" i say not knowing what else to call it i don't really want to tell him that she just had the baby and in a coma.

"Let me see her" he demands placing a hand on his hip raising his voice and i grit my teeth.

"You can't" i say in a neutral voice trying to keep my temper. Who does he think he is coming in here demanding things like that.

"Why not" he replied annoyingly glaring me the clouds darken the sky for a moment and everything looks gray and dull as it normally does. I walk back in the shop without another word its none of his business. Slamming the door i sharpen my raser once more but not even i second into it my door bursts open.

"What did you do to... if you hurt her i'll have you arrested" he yells and i slam the razor on the table.

"She had the baby and hasn't woken up" i yell and he looks at me puzzled for a moment before realising just what i meant.

"Is she ok let me see her" he say and i run my hand through my hair i walk down with him trailing behind me i unlock the door and walk in i see toby and anna bell in the parlor playing on the floor he gives me a questioning look as we pass i lead him to nellie's room where she lays peacefully on the bed.

"She alive but only just" i whisper fighting the feelings of sadness and guilt that rise within me he leans over to look at her as if inspecting to see if i did anything to her.

"I should have you arrested" he mumbles taking me by surprise i stay silent waiting for him to continue. He breathes deeply for a moment

" you did this to her" he say trying to keep his voice low as possible he stands from nellie and walks closer to me.

"Her family has a history of birthing problem it's a miracle " i say keeping my temper we haven't lost her yet. Theres still hope and annabell may be small and premature but she is healthy at least.

"You still got her pregnant and hurt her, i don't know how but you did i could see it in her eyes." he replies dripping venom from his words

"I never would... " i start but i am cut off by my own thoughts i did hurt her. I was so drunk that night i couldn't control the demon inside of me.

" that's what i thought.... you best hope she lives todd" he replied darkly moving to the door frame.

"If she dies i will find some way to have you arrested believe that" he says walking out i stand there for a moment with a heavy heart i hear the door slam in the distance. Was she afraid of me, after all this time was she still afraid. I know it was hard for her being back here but. And now this cop has a vendetta against me.

"Come back nell" i whisper kissing her pale face before walking out of the room. If something happens to me i have to make sure annabell and toby are taken care of i won't have a repeat of what happened to lucy.