What He Knows

Mr.Manchas sat in his wooden chair at his rickety old wooden table. Nick and Judy sat opposite from him, awaiting his story. The lights to his old shack were dim, and water dripped through the ceiling and landed in random pots and pans that were spread out across the floor. Judy noticed the cat was hesitating, and she had to tell him once more that he had nothing to fear.

"So, I am a limo driver for the polar bear Koslov. I have been working for him for many years now, and never have I been of any trouble to him. Well, this past two months, I have been driving this wolf to see Koslov. This wolf, his fur is white, and he is very tall. He never speaks, except when he tells me where to go. I've heard him speak to Koslov once or twice, but never overheard his conversations. At least, not until last week." he finished.

Judy thought about his story for a brief moment, then replied.

"Do you know his name? Where do you pick him up from? How often does he get rides from you? Does he wear his tame collar?"

"Dang rabbit, you're asking too many questions all at once." said Nick. Judy did her best to not get aggravated, and awaited the cat's reply.

"I don't know his name," he said "I never really looked to see if he was wearing a collar. I just assume all predators are wearing one. He keeps his coat up high, so you can't ever see his neck. I give him rides maybe once every few weeks. Last time I gave him a ride was about two weeks ago. I pick him up from the Palm Tree Hotel in Sahara Square."

"Oh... We were just there..." muttered Nick angrily.

"What business do you think the wolf had with Koslov?"

"I honestly do not know for sure, my guess is business with one another.  Once I did hear the wolf asking the bear questions about certain animals, such as lions and tigers. They were discussing which ones would be stronger in a fight. Then they said which ones do you believe would be tougher when killing..prey animals.." He finished.

Judy lowered her ears, Nick staring back, confused.

"They were always exchanging these...pellets..but I could never tell what they were."

"Pellets? Hmm.....So maybe the culprit is Koslov?" Asked Nick. He hoped they didn't have to go back there again. The polar bear would surely have them killed.

"This is a lot of great information. Thank you Mr.Manchas." Judy bowed her head in thanks. Manchas gave a small smile.

"Is there anything else you can tell us?" she asked curiously. Manchas was about to speak when he cried out. Judy and Nick jumped out of their chairs and retreated a few steps back from the jaguar. He fell onto the ground, shaking. He began clawing at his head with his paws, gasping for breath.

"Manchas?" asked Judy. He didn't answer. His collar was turning red, and shocks were being given. But it wasn't holding him back too much. He glared angrily at Judy, his teeth showing. His eyes were narrow, and his mouth foamed.

"J-Judy.. Let's go..." said Nick.

"Mr.Manchas what's wrong!?" asked Judy. Nick gave up and grabbed the rabbit's arm, drug her through the door, and ran outside into the urban jungle.

Manchas burst through his door, gave a rawr, then sprinted after them across the bridge.

"What's wrong with him!?" asked Nick. He had let go of Judy's arm, and she was running herself now. She kept up a good pace, and was attempting to pull out her tranquilizer gun from her belt.

"There's no time for that carrots! Just run!" shouted the fox. His collar was turning yellow from fear. Judy gave up and kept sprinting. But Manchas was gaining on them. 

 He eventually got so close that he took a swipe at the bunny. Luckily, he missed, and the two turned really fast into the bushes. The cat had to stop fast, and he slid some before he could turn and continue after them.

"What do we do?!" asked Nick, who was getting drenched with rain. His clothes were soaked, and his collar was beeping at him to calm down.

"Why isn't his collar working?" asked Judy.

"I don't know carrots! But right now we have to go!" shouted the fox.

Just then, the cat burst through the bushes, running straight for them.

The two ran a little more to find they came straight to the edge of a cliff. Down below the water rushed, leading to the large waterfall that was the gem of the Rain forest District.

"We have to jump!" shouted Judy.

"What!? No! I am not jumping! Foxes aren't as durable as you rabbits!" shouted Nick. Judy gave him an angry face.

"It's either jump or get mauled by a savage predator!" she shouted back.

Nick hesitated, then sighed. The two launched themselves over the edge, and Manchas barely missed them as he came up on the edge.

Nick screamed as he fell, and all he could see was the water at the bottom of the falls rushing up to meet him. And then everything went dark after that.