John Laurens

A/N this is gonna take me a while to write bc my creative process is impaired in many ways. If you're patient enough to wait for my chapters, then please enjoy I guess :^)

Co-written by OwlWithAHat
*What Laf says: don't assume he's dumber than you*

(~~~~~~~~~) indicates a long time skip, (****) indicates a short time skip or something like the letter in the first chap

TW: verbal abuse, plus self harm {asterisks (**) will be placed before and after these scenes}

Btw I'm not introducing the characters because I assume if you're here you already know them all

John Laurens P.O.V
Shit shit shit, I thought. I've never been late before, but apparently I set my alarm to pm instead of am. Ugh, why? I heard Hercules honking his car horn in the driveway, and soon after I ran out of the house and jumped into the back seat.

“What the hell, Laurens?! It's almost 7!”

“Yes, I realize this. My dad came storming into my room asking me why I wasn't up yet because I freaking set my alarm to pm. Sorry guys..”

“Mon Ami, don't worry yourself so, we are only 2 minutes late.”

“That's two minutes too much Laf!” Hercules screamed and turned out of my driveway. He proceeded to speed down the neighborhood and onto the road. The entire drive was quiet as I tried finishing my history in the car and Laf listened to his music with his headphones in.

Once Herc pulled into the student lot, we all said our goodbyes and ran off to class. I ran so hard my back started aching and by the time I got to class, I was 10 minutes late.

And of course first hour was the only hour I was interested in, U.S history. Ugh.

I politely make my way to the front of the room to give Mr. Washington my late slip and take my seat in the second row, next to someone.. new?

I've never seen him before, I know that. He looks like he hasn't slept in months, with dark circles under his eyes and his hair in a messy ponytail at the base of his head. When I look closer, his hand starts cramping up from writing notes. Ah, Mr. Washington’s lectures, where you listen for the first half and fall asleep the second half.

I whisper in his ear, “Hey, can I get the notes since I was late?” He jumped at the sudden voice next to him, then looked at me questioningly and turned his head to keep writing. Little punk.

I figured that was my chance to finally make a friend in this boring ass class, since Laf and Herc got moved to different hours at the semester mark.

About halfway through the hour, the new kid threw his notebook on my desk with all the notes he had written, and at the top of the page it says 'I’m Alexander.’ I looked at him strangely, but he went back to writing on another sheet of paper. I studied him closely to find that he looks like a freaking freshman.

He must have seen me because he whipped his eyes towards me before I got the chance to pull them away. God, that must've looked stupid.

After class he got up from his desk, laid a note face down on Mr. Washington's desk, and exited the room with tears forming in his eyes. What?

I catch him outside the room trying to contain his tears, so I walk away thinking this isn't the best time. Turns out I was right, because Jefferson walked right past me, bumping into my shoulder, and proceeding to walk up to Alexander and harass him. I stopped in my tracks as I heard the awful things he said.