James

Co-written by OwlWithAHat

James's P.O.V
"I should go get Hercules." Lafayette said quickly. When he left, I looked at Alexander. He seemed to be thinking of something.

"Listen.. I know I'm not there all the time. I know that you need your older brother. I know I'm the main source of income when you're doing your homework. I'm so sorry for not being there. I wish I could.." I paused and looked at him listening to me intently.

"You have nothing to worry about. If we have to raise a little more money, then that's what we're going to do. Screw these hospital bills. Screw the house catching on fire. Everyone I care about is safe." He replied. I smiled at him.

"You're so mature for a 15 year old."

He scrunched his nose at me just as I heard the door open once more. It was none other than the one who saved him, Hercules. "Hey, uh, man, how are you doing?" It was quite obvious he was uncomfortable in this situation.

"I could be better I guess." He said nonchalantly. He looked at him as if he was crazy, as if he couldn't feel the burns tearing at the clean skin surrounding the charred skin.

"So, I see you've got more than burns.." he said. I followed his gaze to the scars on his wrists.

"Don't worry about those. I'm getting through it." He said calmly. Hercules looked at him with unreadable eyes.

"So, um, you are biologically a, um, girl..?" He said stuttering to which he nodded his head understanding. "Well I'm not used to it.. but if it's what you want." He said awkwardly. He walked up to hug him, "I'm just glad we got there in time. I'm sorry I didn't find you faster.." he said guiltily.

"None of this is anyone's fault but mine." He said directing it to both him and I. He pointed at both of us to make sure we understood, which we did. "And thank you for finding me by the way.." he added quietly.

I felt my heart shatter. I'm the older brother. I'm the guardian of the  house hold. I'm the one who needs to be there for him. But even at his most desperate hour of need, I was working. Wow I'm such a disappointment to my family.

He looked at Alexander and hugged him. "I would've saved you even if you hated me." He said. Alexander hugged back. There wasn't much to say about Hercules except for the fact that he is the one who saved my brother. And even though I wish I could have, he wouldn't be here right now if he hadn't come when he did.

I looked at Hercules when he was done hugging my brother and put my hand out. He recognized this gesture and took it, confirming an approving handshake.

When me and Hercules walked out of the hospital room, we sent in the last person, John Laurens. The kid that Alexander said had a panic attack about the teacher talking to him, the one that "has beautiful freckles that covered his symmetrical face asymmetrically," the one who Alexander seemed to never talk enough about. His passion for this boy makes it undeniable that there is something there.

John Laurens stood up, straightened out his already fine shirt and walked in nearly shaking. He poked his head in for a minute, then disappeared behind the door. I don't know how long we waited, but it was a while. Soon Usnavi and Hercules left. Lafayette asked if I could drive him and John home since he insisted on staying.

After about a half hour, the door opened and we all walked in. It was me, John, Lafayette and Alexander. Lafayette immediately walked over to his side protectively. "Hey man, we gotta get going soon, but I'm glad I got to see you." I said quickly.

"You too." He said apathetically. Does he not want to see me? He looked at his friends with such loving eyes as they talked to him about whatever was happening before we left. That hurts..

I stood by the door waiting for them to finish their discussion, which lasted longer than it needed to be. I let out a small cough to make sure they were still aware of my presence and of what time it was. "We gotta go." I said awkwardly. The two that I was supposedly driving home grumbled at me. "I know, I don't want to leave him either. But visiting hours are over.." I trailed off.

Both of the boys gave Alexander a kiss on the sides of his head and walked out happily. I have the boys my phone with Google maps and told them to type in their addresses. Lafayette sat in the front while John stretched out in the back. "So, you've only known Alexander for a week, right?" I asked to either of them.

"Well, technically, we didn't know him the first day. He sat with Arron Burr and his group of assholes because Burr is nice. But then one of his asshole friends fucked him over with verbal bullying and found us. Then Lafayette adopted him apparently because he acts like his mother." John explained.

"Wait, what did Burr's friend say to 'Lex?" I continued, worried.

"They said shit about him not talking and about your guys' father leaving I think. He said 'little bastard' and I'm pretty sure bastard means someone who didn't have a father, right?"

"No, it means the parents were never married, which isn't us." (At least not in this fiction)

"Whatever, Jefferson is a dick anyways, and I helped him calm down and such. I'm just trying to keep him away from them all at this point." John concluded.

I smiled, "thanks for looking out for him. You guys truly are the best."

"Monsieur James, we are happy to help." Lafayette said.

"A-and you guys are fine with him being a girl, right?" I asked fearfully.

"Why wouldn't we be okay with it? He's a person all the same, no matter the gender." John said. "If you don't mind me asking, is he thinking of getting like the testosterone supplements or surgery?"

"Both, actually. We've just been short on money since moving here. If I make enough money for it though, he's the first one I'm thinking of."

"The thing is though, he could have asked for help from any of us and we would have been more than happy to loan him money." John explained. Alexander wouldn't accept that though, which I'm sure Lafayette knew by now if he really does act like a mom. He'd know everything about him.

"I guess it doesn't make it seem as special when it's all our money. He likes being independent and doing things on his own. I guess I'm kind of like that too." I say, droning on. "Sorry, you probably don't want to hear me talk." I apologized.

"Well, I mean we never hear Alexander talk except for recently. It's a nice change of pace." John said.

"Oui." Lafayette agreed. I looked at them as if they were joking, but John was looking at his phone and Lafayette was looking out the window. They don't look very serious if you ask me.

"Well, what do you want me to talk about?" I asked.

"How you ended up here. What's your story?" John asked, intrigued.

"You really don't want to know that, it's sad and tragic and bad and no." I said. After some bickering back and forth, we agreed not to talk about it. That's when we pulled up into John's driveway.

Someone was standing there with their arms crossed and foot tapping impatiently. We said goodbye to John and watched him walk out. As soon as the door closed the man started yelling at him, to which John responded by throwing his arms up over his head with a comeback. I couldn't make anything out but I figured this was as good a time as ever to turn out onto the road.

"James?" Lafayette asked in a hushed tone.

"Yeah?"

"Where will you guys go now that your house is burned?"

I hadn't thought about that. "Um, I'm sure Usnavi will welcome us with open arms." I replied hesitantly, but to be honest, I'm not sure...