Chapter 01 | The Arrangement

01 | The Arrangement

You are sitting face to face with him in his dining room―you are on one end of the long dining table and him on the other. You watch silently as he sips on his coffee, eyes diverted away from you as he gives you the time you need before you can give him the long-awaited answers for his proposition, though you are now more interested in studying the features of his face rather than considering what you are going to say to him.

He puts his cup of coffee down with an audible sigh, before lifting his gaze towards you. His eyes bearing daggers into yours as he speaks out, "Have you decided yet?"

You open your lips to answer, yet you can't think of anything to say. His voice may be gentle as he spoke, but it is how he drags on his speech that is intimidating enough to have you lost for words. You already had the answers in your mind the moment you sat there on your seat one hour ago, ever since you both had your dinner with lack of conversations on that table. But now, after the empty plates along with the leftovers had been taken away and replaced by two cups of hot beverages―with an addition of a folder of files on your side―you can feel every determination you previously had drifting away and being replaced with doubts.

You clear your throat, before carefully letting your words pass through your lips. "I—Yes, I have—," you speak out softly, "Forgive me for taking so long to make a decision, but I needed some time to be sure."

"To be sure of what, exactly?"

You keep silent as you list down the answers to the question he had just given you. A lot of things had come into your consideration during the past few weeks. One, the condition that brought you here. And two, the future that is written on the papers lying before you.

Your eyes are locked on the man, continuing to study him silently as he sits there. Waiting.

Trailing your eyes over him, you take your time taking in the sight of his figure and how he is sitting there with so much confidence emitting through him. How his cold gaze locked on you, unnerving. His fingers lay above the table, with his palms hovering above the shiny wooden top. The colour of his skin appears in contrast to the finished wood beneath them.