Chapter 36 | The Two Fathers

36 | The Two Fathers

A form of alliance made through marital arrangements between two business owner families have been done for years, perhaps decades, ever since the beginning of time. And even today, in the modern era of business and trading, this particular custom is still being carried out between the leading families reigning the country. The reasons behind these arrangements may vary, however, ranging from the intentions of merging two vast companies to the purpose of fulfilling the spot of an heir for those in need to sustain their reputation and family fame, to those in need of winning a deal for the rights of running joint companies. Others may even do it as a form of conciliation, done between two competing companies or families to end rivalries by joining not only their businesses, but also the family as a pact of treaty.

During the years of growing up, you have witnessed these arrangements being executed around you—whether the arrangements that were held amongst your friends or family and those which involved your father's acquaintances or clients. There have even been times when representatives from certain business owning families came by to offer your father the same kind of alliance, which of course would require you to be handed in the arrangement of marrying any chosen sons of your father's partners or clients.

Thankfully, all he ever did was to bluntly refuse each and every one of them on your behalf.

"I would never give up your freedom for the sake of my own benefit or for the company's. You are my daughter, my priceless treasure, not a property to be handed or to sell out to another person for something so inanimate such as money or fame. If one day you ever decide to marry, it should be for your own choice to make."

—that was the statement he made when you questioned him one day, when you realised how he never did even once tried to ask for your consideration regarding all the requests of arrangements which he received before he refused them for you.