Chapter 21 | Trails

— Six months ago —

The rain had stopped falling when Jinyoung returned to his car that was parked right outside the central train station.

He had one hand holding the wheel, while the other pressing his phone to his ear while he spoke, "—I'm not sure how, but they found out about what I was doing. They must've caught me while I was trying to retrieve some files on them."

He stopped to listen to the other person speaking from the other line while his eyes were busy trailing his surroundings to make sure that he was still safe. He shook his head when he heard something being mentioned to him, as if forgetting that the other person had no ability to see him doing so.

"No, I don't think so. I don't think going back to my place would be safe for me, or anyone else," he said as his mind flew to the thought of you. "I can't risk it. At least not now. I need to go into hiding and figure out how to lure them away. I need to disappear. I don't know how or how long, I just need to get them off my tracks."

Another silence filled the air as he listened in on his phone.

"Are you sure? O-okay, where should I go?" He closed his eyes to memorize all the information that was being given to him, nodding his head as he repeated everything to himself.

"Alright, I understand—" he faltered for a brief while, stopping himself as he leaned down to start the car. He took a deep breath when he remembered you. "Can you do me one favour? It's about ___. Just in case, if I can't make it—"

He spoke silently this time as he asked for the man on the other end of the phone call, "—please make sure that she's safe."

Jinyoung released a long sigh of relief as the other man responded with, "You know that I would make sure of it without you requesting me to."

Jinyoung thanked the man repeatedly before ending the call and started to drive away.

The night was quiet and void of traffic. It was already so late at night and the rain that kept falling for nearly the entirety of the evening had pushed everyone to retreat back into their shelters.