Chapter 03 | Pledge

03 | Pledge

There had been numerous occasions when you've heard the name of Min Yoonseok. But there had only been a few prominent times when his name appeared in your life which you could remember.

The first time was at the beginning of high school. His name was mentioned briefly as the alumni that had just graduated right before you entered, setting the record for the highest grade ever achieved and accomplishing the fastest period of time any student had ever graduated in.

You've seen his pictures everywhere in the building, displayed inside glass cabinets along with articles of his achievements―both in sports and academic―and the medals he had won from various academic tournaments. But you have never had any chances of meeting him in person. Not even when you occasionally dropped by at the Min family's residence to work on your school assignments with his younger brother, who became your partner in class projects for two years in a row.

The second time you heard his name was during the sophomore year in college. You were dating the captain of the rowing team who wouldn't stop talking about a certain Min Yoonseok, the former captain of the rival team from the neighbouring university―an ambitious man with a dream, a high-spirited man who would boast over his achievements through a few glasses of wine. There were times when you would join your past boyfriend in his tournaments to support him, and sometimes even stayed for the after-party when you were free of morning classes the next day, but the notorious elder son of Min family would be too busy with his group of admirers to show himself in front of the other guests.

The third time was many years later.

You had refused your father's request to work in his company straight after you finished college, when he asked you to assist him with your skill and knowledge. You had chosen to leave the family home to live in the small town on the foot of the mountains instead, where you started studying about wine and all the necessities you needed to start producing them.