Chapter 24 | The Last Call

24 | The Last Call

The silence is starting to feel too unbearable as you wait for him to give you an answer. His frustration is just as palpable as yours and you can see it clearly through his eyes and his clenched jaw. But you stay on your ground, not even looking away from his gaze. Time feels as if it is moving so slowly, each passing second marked by the soft thump inside your chest.

You have been waiting for him to answer you, but all Yoongi does is stand there without saying anything, yet still refusing to look away from your eyes either.

The only thing you are getting from him is his reluctance to reveal everything by the way his gaze keeps showing nothing but uncertainty. The warmth of his presence hovering so close to you is supposed to be calming, but you are getting too exhausted by all the secrets that keep surrounding you, suffocating you, so you simply exhale a deep sigh and start raising your hands to his chest so you can push yourself away from him.

Only to have him stopping you by gently catching your wrists in his hands.

"Some of the things you said are true," he finally speaks, calmly, with his hands moving away to hold your upper arms. You suddenly feel so vulnerable and bare the moment his thumbs start stroking your skin absentmindedly as he speaks. "I'm not on their side, and I certainly have no intention of hurting you. None at all."

He sighs as he continues, "But it's not completely wrong to say that I am somehow connected to them."

You look up into his eyes, furrowing your eyebrows when you are taken aback at his silent confession. "What does that even supposed to mean?"

He opens his mouth to speak, but falters and sighs instead. "I can't tell you more, not yet. I— All I can say now is that I am not the enemy here, _____. And I don't want to be."