Chapter 56 | Penance

56 | Penance

Yoongi arrives on his office floor with long, yet slow, lethargic strides in his footsteps. With his suit folded on one arm instead of having it on, he has the other arm pressed against his middle, subtly hugging his torso as he walks. There is a slight limp on his steps when he first stepped out of the elevator, which he is quick to hide just when the few executive staffs he passes by turn to look at him.

He walks straight through the office with his chin up and his shoulders squared back, giving only a few courteous nods to his staffs to respond to their greetings, until he steps into his quarter. Only once he is safe in his personal space, Yoongi could finally exhale a sigh of relief.

"Morning, Boss," Jimin greets him as Yoongi walks over to his desk. Jimin's lips curl to a frown as he looks down, just as his employer is wincing in pain while rubbing at his right torso. "You didn't have to go to work yet, you know. I could've brought the work to you so you could take the time to heal at home."

Yoongi scoffs. "And give my wife a reason to be active again and start working when I have specified her not to? After what happened, the last thing she needs is to feel stressed again and I've made sure to keep her mind out of things that might cause it. You'll only give her more excuse to get up and overdo it again."

"So it's true then? You're placing her in house arrest since that night?" Jimin asks his boss with a grin.

"Damn right, I am," Yoongi says, gritting his teeth as he walks into his office with Jimin hot on his heels.

Yoongi tosses his suit to a chair nearby and walks over to the liquor cabinet. It is still pretty early for him to drink, but he always finds himself needing one whenever he thinks back at the events happening only a couple of nights ago.

He still had yet to figure out whether everything that happened on that particular night was merely coincidental or if it was fate. He is not a superstitious man, but there has to be a reason why, just by chance, the Kims had decided to launch an attack at him just as he was making his move to lay one on them.