Chapter 06 | Secrets Within

06 | Secrets Within

—Four months ago—

You remember that day perfectly.

It was a little over two weeks after Jinyoung's funeral when you first met him, under the terrible weather which nearly held you back from leaving your father's office building. The rain was falling so hard that day when you stepped out of the building, accompanied by a few bolts of lightning painting the grey sky. Everyone was telling you to wait until the sky cleared itself before you could head on home, but you had just walked away from a stressful meeting with your father and his lawyers, and the only wish you had that day was to head back to your apartment to curl under the blanket and cry your eyes out—the one thing you had been doing ever since the passing of your fiancé, hidden away from everyone who acted as if they cared.

"May I help you with that?"

You were standing under the canopy right in front of the building's main entrance, fumbling with your umbrella when someone interrupted you. He was standing at the side of the glass doors with his folded umbrella in his hand and gave you a smile when you looked up to him. "Where are you heading? Why don't I walk you instead?"

It was quite unusual for you to walk with a stranger, but you have seen this man's face before. Although you had trouble remembering who he was. "And you are?"

He gave you another smile. "Forgive me. We've met a couple of times before, yet I haven't introduced myself properly," he said, taking his hand out of his pocket to offer you a handshake. "I am Detective Jeon Jungkook. You can call me Detective, or Jeon, or you may even call me Jungkook if you want. I had let Jinyoung call me with my front name before."

Now he had your full attention. "Jinyoung? You knew him?"

He lowered his head with a pursed smile and pulled his hand away. "You must have some questions, and I'll be happy to answer them. But it might not be wise to talk here," he said while fumbling with his umbrella to open it and extended it over your head. "Why don't we talk on our way?"