Chapter 40 | Enlightenment

40 | Enlightenment

The throbbing in your head is the first thing you feel as you slowly come to. You can feel as if something heavy is weighing you down from the top of your head and all the way down to your jaw. The pain is pounding so unmercifully loud that you could practically hear the sound.

You also notice the darkness beneath your heavy eyelids, before you force yourself to open them and white light starts to slither through. Only briefly, for you have yet to regain enough energy to blink away the heaviness that is pulling you back to sleep.

The next thing that you catch on as you are starting to gain control over your senses is the air that breezes around you, the temperature you feel on your skin and the scent that wavers.

The chillness in the air that is brushing the tip of your nose feels like a total opposite compared to the warmth that trickles on your skin. But it is the scent that lingers as you take a deep breath, the fresh and heavily thick humidity that is too familiar for you to recognise. So familiar that it warms your chest to the coziness of a home.

No, not at the penthouse where you have been residing in with your husband, nor does it remind you of the aura of your parents' old mansion. But nevertheless, it reminds you of a moment, something that lies in between.

Another deep breath is inhaled, and you are taken back to the place that you had once regarded as your sanctuary, where you were able to find your true self, your dream and your passion all in one place. The discovery has you baffled, lost in not knowing if you are currently stuck in a dream or in reality. To wonder if it is really possible for you to end up being at a place that had once given you shelter from the harsh world in which your father had thrived in.

But the level of your curiosity and surprise is enough to push you into fighting the heavy haze that is binding you in the darkness, and enough to give you power to push, to inhale deeper, to pull open your lids and bravely face the blinding light that comes from the nearest window.