The Boy in Black

They arrived without being caught. Yet. Here, it was officially known as a military camp, when it was actually a MATA secret training base, with actual trained soldiers, who volunteered to help out with agents' trainings. Today was a day off, however, so it was very quiet. As Ali and Alicia ran from small sheds to another, they could feel their feet crunching underneath the sand and twigs, their shallow breathing, expecting an enemy to bounce out at them anytime. 

They had reached the centre of the camp. They had not pass by anybody odd, and literally it was deserted here too.

"Do you think that they've gone?" Ali asked Alicia in an undertone, crouching down behind yet another small shed. 

"Impossible." Alicia replied simply, looking around here and there. 

"Wait." she suddenly said. 

"What?"

"There's someone there," she whispered quietly. 

Ali looked at where she fixed her eyes on. IRIS, the high-tech glasses he wore, helped him see through the dust. There, in the middle of nowhere, stood a woman with red, short hair. She looked most familiar. Ali haven't figured out yet who she was until she had turned around, a smirking face and pointed chin-

"That's Jenny!" Ali whispered so loudly he gained himself an elbow from Alicia.

"Can you just keep quiet for once?!" Alicia said back.

Ali could only scowl as both of them got back to observing Jenny. 

"What is she doing here." Ali heard Alicia murmuring under her breath.

"Let's just attack her. There's nothing else there waiting for us." Ali stated easily. 

Alicia shot him a glare of disbelief. "You're still such an idiot sometimes."

Jenny looked around, at the clear, blue sky, empty sheds and deserted area. A perfect place for a battle. 

A small bomb flew through the air at Jenny. She hadn't noticed it, but someone else had saved her from the blow. A boy dressed in head to toe in black, who moved as quick as the small bomb itself, hit it away with a swift movement of his hand before it could even activate.

An explosion blasted off a shed nearby, but no one seemed to care about it, for the appearance of this new boy...

The coast was clear, however, so where did the bomb actually came from? Jenny and the boy kept a look out for anything else. Jenny had to admit though, being the bait, and being the centre of the trouble, is not fun. At all.

Another small bomb was shot from above. This time, the boy noticed it, but Jenny was too late. Without so much of a back flip, the boy jumped out of the magnetic field. Jenny was forced to be stuck on the ground, unable to get up, no matter how hard she tried. 

The boy had barely time to think of what to do next when a blast of wind knocked him frontwards, to trip on his feet. 

Ali and Alicia appeared out of nowhere, both of them keeping glares at the new agent. The boy got up. They could see now that he was slightly taller than them, almost the same height actually, and he looked to be about their age too. Though his black sunglasses blocked out his eyes from being seen by Ali and Alicia. And there was something about him that seemed familiar...

In a blink of an eye, he was between Ali and Alicia. Ali had to force his wrist to face the direction of his enemy, for he had slashed down what seemed to be sharp, solid steel claws at him. The boy smirked as he kept on slashing down at him. He was tough, Ali couldn't hold longer...

But suddenly he stopped to jump on a roof a shed. Relief washed over him, but realising that Alicia's bomb was flying to his direction, he gave a small scream. But it didn't hit him. Nothing happened to him. And he only noticed again that he had his shield on all along. Bless him. Kinda. Not his slow realisation. 

Turning his attention back to the boy in black, he tried throwing his yoyo at him. But he was quick. Alicia was trying to get him shot too, but he simply jumped away.

Jenny watched their fruitless effort, still being stuck on the ground. Why did she even volunteer to do this anyways? As if she was being free of the weight of an elephant, the magnetic field had retracted. It was time to leave.

The boy in black caught her eye as he leaped to another roof, and she nodded back.

Throwing what seemed to be a purple arrow into the air, the entire scene flashed purple. Ali and Alicia were blinded by the sudden light. At the meantime, the boy and Jenny had fled the scene.

***

"He escaped."

General Rama rubbed his chin in a thoughtful way, thinking through what Ali told him that was supposed to be an apology, then made up his mind.

"We cannot let him escape again," he said gruffly. "Whoever this boy is, he must be Quarto."

"Wait, maybe we do have something else about him, General," Sapphire said, excitement clear on her face.

"What is it?"

"IRIS might have some data about Quarto after their recent battle."

Ali looked around. All eyes were on him now, as if waiting for him to do something. Was he supposed to do something? Shoot, he wasn't listening.

"Uhhh..."

Alicia rolled her eyes. "Give IRIS to Sapphire."

"Why?"

"DEY!" General Rama shouted, making him jump. "Weren't you listening at all?!"

"Oh, sorry, sorry."

He pressed on temple of the high-tech glasses. It formed back into its original state, a thin, blue material encased by black metal. Slowly and carefully, he handed IRIS, which was cold in his grip, on the tip of his fingers onto Sapphire's gloved hands.

"Don't worry," she said gently, for Ali was doing his best to keep it in his view. "I'm just gonna do a quick scan."

Alicia tried hiding a smile from Ali, but purposely let it show, and Ali, who've felt slightly relieved, was angered by this.

Once IRIS has touched the holographic platform, a hologram of IRIS' recent data popped up in 3D in front of them.

Sapphire was busy at a holographic panel, which she was busy typing something.

"Oh, yes. I got it, General."

The holograms changed to show a screen of the video taken by IRIS during Ali and Alicia's fight with Quarto.

They could see Alicia in the corner of the screen, and the boy in a tight black suit staring at them.

The video paused there.

"Check the analysis." General Rama grunted.

The holographic screen zoomed in to the boy in black, and made it back to high definition. Then IRIS' analysis of the boy popped up beside the screen of the clip.

Codename: Quarto
Threat level: 6
Equipment: Metal claws, mini-arrows
Abilities: Extended attack area, sharp accuracy

"I see...IRIS has seen this boy as a threat too."

"Or this is because Ali has seen him as a threat, General," Alicia suggested.

General Rama nodded. Why does he always agree with everyone but him, Ali, himself?

"Good job on your mission today, agents. Ali, Alicia, you may go back to school."

Ali wanted to say something, but was unsure about it. But before he could stop himself from saying it, he said it.

"General, can I have my IRIS back?"

"Oh," Sapphire said, taking IRIS from the platform and handing it back to him. "So sorry, forgotten about that."

"It's OK," he said quietly, before walking after Alicia, who has long since gone.