Fixing the Tanks

He closed his eyes, his entire already preparing him for the impact, even though he didn't expect this to happen, he expected it to happen now. But something caught him, something like an invisible force, the arms of an angel, pulled with much force to bring him back up. 

Suddenly all his feelings came back to him, and noticing that he was being played about in mid-air, his fear of heights forced him to give out a sharp scream that sounded most like a girl's. His back banged against something hard, and he swore under his breath.

He looked under him, at the bubbling water. A second ago, he had expected to fall into its endless doom, what the hell was he thinking before this? 

"Are you OK?" Alicia asked, worriedly? 

A head of a girl's poked from the top side of the platform, staring down at him with eyes of worry.

"Do I look like I am?" Ali said back. 

Alicia nodded and looked around, trying to find a way to get him back up, but Ali thought it was obvious.

"Hold my hand." She reached her hand down so that it was face level with Ali's, but the magnetic field from Alicia's bomb was too strong. It was restraining him from reaching out, sticking him forcefully against the bottom of the metal platform.

"I..can't..." he said as he struggled his best to get his arms free.

"Quick! If you don't grab my hand, the bomb's gonna disactivate soon!" Alicia said, alarmed. She had already bent down so much that she was lying flat down on the platform, her hand groping around for nothing. 

"Ali, quick!" she begged, her voice straining.

Suddenly, he was set free from the force sticking him to the platform, and luckily he was still attempting to grab Alicia's hand before this, he bet his mind couldn't have made up the command to do so. 

His hand interlocked with Alicia's and he hung there, above the toxic sea, Alicia's hand the only thing between him and his death. 

"Pull me up, Alicia!" He tried his best not to look below, because every time he did, his hand would momentarily slacken and slip from Alicia's grip.

"Hang on!"

Using all the energy she has, she forced her hand to swing backwards, bringing Ali with it, and up again. She felt the force through her arm as it swung Ali back up on the platform, where he landed with a painful thud on his bottom.

Comot immediately ran over to Ali to lick him, hoping that he was OK, mewing softly. Ali attempted a smile despite what has happened, and pet Comot gently on the head.

"Thanks, Alicia, really." he said, as Comot purred its delight.

"It's nothing," she said dismissively, not even glancing at him."What really matters is how we're going to fix those broken tanks."

"Hm..." Ali thought. 

He looked down once more. No possible solutions came up to him, all except for one. Perhaps Alicia had the same brainwave, because he saw his own horror reflected back at him.

"You can't," she said.

"Why can't I?" he piped up.

Ali tried to move over to the edge of the bridge, but Alicia stepped into his way. Her face wasn't full of loath, instead it was stony. Ali found this as the least convenient time for her to interfere.

"Alicia, get out of the way," he said calmly.

"No, I can't, and I won't." she said firmly, her arms held open in case he decided to go around him. "I saved you once, and I might not be able to do that again."

"Well, then, I guess you'll just have to." Ali said.

Before Alicia could protest any further, he had ran around her and jumped right down into the sea of smelly toxic. Wind whistling in his ears, he closed his eyes, ready for the impact. 

At what felt like a second later, his entire body was submerged into scorching acid that burnt at his unprotected face. He held his breath, and swam upwards to the surface. His IRIS glasses were his only protection for his eyes. All he could see through the greenish haze was a bright light. He aimed for it. As he beat his arms forwards, he could see small bubbles forming on his suit and floating upwards. He supposed this was just the suit doing its work when it came in contact to toxic, but he didn't have much time.

The freedom of air was relief against his burnt face. The small yellow speck above him that was Alicia stood where it was last, except that now her hands were clutching at the railings, as if they were life lines. Ali showed her a thumbs up, indicating that he was alright, and distinctly, he saw her nod curtly.

Ali cast around for the broken parts, and found one in the tank nearest to him. He breast-stroked towards it, his black hair soaked in toxic slapping at his face as it does, a sharp sting shot across his face. It took almost all his resistance to reach the tank. All around the tank ran a cut. IRIS told him that this was probably made by a sword. A powerful one, indeed, to penetrate four metres of platinum metal.

He had barely reached it however, when something he had feared most when he had jumped into the pool of toxic. His face was burning as though it had been set on fire. Everything wiped out from his mind, he thrashed about, the pain half-blinding him. He heard a distant yell from above, and everything went black.