Caught in the Act

"I got it!" Khai exclaimed, punching the air in delight. 

As though to prove his statement, Alicia's magnetic bomb deactivated a moment after that. IRIS did not attack, but climbed up from the crater and stood stiffly beside it. 

"Heh, my attack sure was sick," Jet appraised himself, nodding at the large crater which was smoking slightly.

"Are you sure you got it?" Moon asked uncertainly, approaching IRIS with much caution. 

"Positive," Khai reassured. "Look."

He pressed on several holographic buttons, and IRIS did a sort of curtsey for Moon, who grinned. Behind Moon, Iman giggled silently into her hand.

"OK, Khai, that's enough," Moon said, though she was still smiling.

Khai tapped on a button and IRIS went back to its previous position. 

"OK, IRIS," Alicia said sternly. "We would want you to answer a few questions. First of which-"

"What are you doing here?" Jet interjected forcefully, though he looked worried.

Once again, Khai pressed on a button. IRIS raised its head slightly so that now it stared at Jet. 

"Hiding from MATA. I know they are after me, I hacked into their system and found out. I needed to hide," it said tonelessly. 

"But why did you steal IRIS?" Moon asked.

Now it turned its head in Moon's direction.

"Khai, can you stop that, it's creeping me out," Moon whispered towards Khai. Khai chuckled drily.

"Ali thought he was kicked out of the agency. He wanted to prove he is as much as an agent without me, by defeating Uno."

"Wait...why are you saying Ali as if he's not part of you?" Alicia questioned suspiciously.

"Because..." IRIS suddenly flashed a brighter shade of white. All the agents surrounding it was caught unawares and were blinded. Amongst all the screams issuing from the agents, IRIS' final sentence could still be heard. "He isn't anymore."

"Stop it!" Alicia commanded, scrambling to get up and locate IRIS.

 But even as she did, a haze of blinding white was preventing her from looking around properly. There was an unmistakable frantic buzzing of Khai's hover board somewhere, a blast, followed by a ringing silence...

"MY HOVER BOARD!" came an anguished yell that pierced through her soul like a knife.

When her vision had finally cleared, she could see the other agents covering their eyes, or else rubbing them. The lights had gone off. Though there was little they could see, but one thing was sure: IRIS had fled.

Other than that, there was a red figure squatting with his head bowed in a corner. Alicia, Iman, Moon and Jet immediately rushed over to Khai, who was staring mournfully at little pieces of metal strewn in front of him. 

Iman gasped, then said in a most reproachful tone, "Khai..."

"He...he destroyed...my hover board..." Khai gulped shakily, wiping off tears on his sleeve noisily. 

Alicia didn't know what to do. She wasn't one who was good in consulting someone about their emotions. 

While the other agents were grouped mournfully around Khai, Alicia looked around and noticed that something white was approaching her.

"Eh, Comot? What're you doing here?" she asked curiously, bending down to be level with it.

It gave several meows in different pitches, which Alicia took that it has decided to put its faith in MATA for the better sake of Ali.