Chapter 14: Voices

She quickly ran past the students, making her way inside to the bathroom. Liz leaned against the wall in the first stall, staring down at her hands. Her hands, which had just stopped a sliding car weighing who knows how much. She regained her steadiness and unlocked the stall door. She walked slowly out of the bathroom and almost immediately there was whispering and murmuring. It was all inside Liz's head, too. Her head pounded with the multiple voices. "What the hell is she?" "What a freak!" "She's not even human."

She covered her ears, running to class. She ran to the classroom, passing right by her teacher. She scooted past everyone, still covering her ears firmly with her hands. Aiden stared back at her when she sat down. He immediately jumped up and moved to the seat in front of her. He swung his leg over the seat so that he sat backwards in it to face her. "Liz? Liz, what's wrong?"

"Make the voices stop, Aiden. Make them stop," Liz said harshly under her breath.

"Liz, what voices? What do you hear?"

"They're talking about me. All of them."

"Okay, come on. Let's get you out of here." Aiden lifted her up and slung his arm over her body, ducking her down. He ran her back out to his car. The voices were faint, but still there. She uncovered her ears and relaxed in the seat beside him. "Wanna tell me what happened?"

"I-I stopped a car with my bare hands. I can hear everyone's thoughts. I can have a conversation with wolves in my head. I don't know what's happening, Aiden."She turned towards him. "What's happening to me?"

"I only know one thing that could be the reason but it's highly unlikely."

"What?"

"There's different types of Visionaries, Liz. Just like their are different types of wolves. For a Visionary, you can be a Liwah, which is similar to an Omega wolf. You're alone in the world. Then there is a Dirut, which is similar to a Beta wolf. You have others like you and you have a family, or in wolf terms, you have a pack. Then, the most powerful of all Visionaries, is a Pilae, which is like an Alpha. But a Pilae holds more powers than any of the others. A Pilae can see things, go places, hear things, do things unimaginable. But Pilae's are rare."

"My- my father told me... he told me that I was a Pilae."

Aiden stared at her. "You can hear this?" he asked in his mind. Liz nodded her head.

She jumped back when a knock came on the window beside her. Liz saw Derek standing with Scott. She rolled down the window to let him talk. "She needs to come with us. Now," Derek said.

"For what purpose?" Aiden asked.

"I know she just told you, Aiden. I can hear. Deucalion knew all along what she was. So did Kali."

"And what are you saying? That they used her? Why would they want her?"

"They didn't want her, idiot. They wanted her father."

------

Aiden handed Liz over to Derek and Scott. He refused to leave her alone with them, so he followed the group back to Derek's loft. When they all reached the loft, Derek opened the door and Kali and Deucalion were waiting inside. Derek and Scott stood in front of Aiden and Liz.

"Ah, Elizabeth," Deucalion smiled.

Aiden saw her worry so he reached down and grabbed her hand, squeezing it tight. "What are you gonna do to my dad?"

"The question you should be asking is what won't we do?" Kali shouted.

"You can't hurt him."

"Liz!" Scott shouted.

"He's my dad!! I've already lost one of my parents. I'm not losing another, no matter how demented he is. You can capture him. You can hurt him. You can injure him. But you can't kill him."

"Why should we even listen to her? She's just a Visionary."

"Need I remind you, Kali, I did beat you in a fight. And you have no idea what else I'm capable of."

"Oh, big bad Elizabeth," she laughed. "Calm yourself, Pilae. We don't want you, anyways. We just want to know where your father is."

"If I knew, you think we'd be standing here?" Liz retorted. Aiden's grip on her hands tightened.

Kali leaned over and whispered to Deucalion who shook his head. "Come with me, Elizabeth. I want to ask you something."

After contemplation, she finally agreed. Liz released Aiden's hand and walked over to Kali. When she reached her, she turned back to the three boys. Scott had moved to talk to Deucalion, but Aiden and Derek stood and watched. "You'll be fine. Everything will be okay," she heard Derek say in her head. He smiled at her after she smiled upon hearing his voice. Aiden continued to watch Kali, as he was in protection mode.

Kali took Liz with her into the upstairs bedroom. She sat her down on the bed and began asking questions. "Where do you think he is?"

"I don't know. I only ever see him when I'm dreaming now. But even when I do, it's a faint memory. Never direct to my dad. I think it's a flaw or something. The connection isn't ever strong."

"You need a stronger connection? As in take someone with you?"

"Maybe. It wouldn't hurt to try," Liz said.

"Okay. We can try it."

"Okay, I'll go get Aiden." Liz began standing and walking to the stairs.

"No!" she yelled out. "Get Derek."

"Why not Aiden? We have a stronger connection nowadays than Derek and I. Besides, Derek hates me."

She sat her back down on the bed. "Elizabeth, I've seen how you look at Aiden compared to Derek. Nothing is as strong as the connection between you and Derek. Plus, I've seen how Derek looks at you, not much makes the big bad Derek smile, but for some reason, you do."

"But,-"

Kali cut her off. "Trust me, he does. If you'd just open your eyes, you'd see that. You may think you and Aiden are the strongest connection to ever exist, but I can see how you feel. You still care about Derek. Don't you?"

"Well... yeah. I love Derek. But I care about Aiden too."

"But do you love him?" That was the very question Liz had been avoiding. "Look, I'm not trying to control your life. I just think this will work better with Derek."

"Whatever it takes to find my dad."

Kali nodded, leading them back downstairs. The boys were surrounding Derek's table in front of the giant window. They all turned as they heard Kali's toes hitting the cast iron stairs. "We need one of you to go with her in her dream." Liz lowered her head but could still see Aiden slightly step forward. "We need Derek." She kept her head lowered still but could hear every thought in Aiden's mind. 'It's for dad. It's for dad.' She reminded herself.