Chapter 21: Forbidden Gift

The group of six gathered in Derek's loft after Elizabeth's first meeting with Alistair. "What do we do now?" Ethan asked.

"We keep her awake," Derek spoke in a harsh tone.

"But why?"

"If I sleep, I dream. If I dream, I see Alistair. When I see Alistair, he is more likely to take over. You cant let him near me. If any of you want to live to see the next day, you need to protect me."

"Liz, you can't not sleep. Eventually you will have to, it's human nature."

"Scott, last time I checked, I am certainly not human. I know, everyone needs sleep. But I know I can avoid it. My father did the same thing once."

"What do you mean?"

"My father was sick once and could never sleep. Well, at least I assumed it was sickness. He actually had been drinking this potion type thing once a week that kept him awake and healthy."

"And how do we acquire this potion?" Aiden asked.

"We make it." Liz's words seemed to fade, knowing exactly what was needed to make the drink.

Derek stood, ready to take action once and for all. "Okay, well lets gather supplies. What do we need?"

"Well, we need water. And wealsoneedwolfsbane," Liz said, jumbling her words together.

"What was that?" Derek asked.

"Water?"

The boys glared at her. "The second thing, Liz," Isaac said.

"Oh! Wealsoneedwolfsbane!"

"One more time, Liz."

She sighed in defeat. "We need water and wolfs bane."

"Liz! It'll kill you!" Isaac shouted. "Besides, water and flower? Doesn't sound too good."

"The flower dissolves into the water. I've seen it. And as it killing me goes, my Visionary side is more powerful. It shouldn't harm me. I've touched the plant before and nothing happened."

"Liz, inhaling the substance has nearly driven us to the brink of suicide before. We can't let you do this," Scott shouted.

Liz looked at the boys surrounding her. "I have to try. If I don't, you, me, and probably even more innocent lives will be taken."

After more convincing and pleading, the boys finally agreed to a test. If it worked, it worked. If it didn't, it didn't. Liz gathered as much wolfsbane as she could as the boys waited at Derek's house. 

While walking back to the loft, she could hear two faint voices talking. Upon getting closer, she narrowed her hearing, realizing the two voices she had been hearing was Derek and Aiden.

"What happens if this doesn't work, Derek?"

"It's worth trying."

"It could kill her, Derek!!!" Aiden shouted.

"I know."

"Aren't you the least bit concerned?"

"Of course I am. But I cant tell her that. She thinks she is saving all of us from eternal doom by doing this. I know that if this works, yes, it could save us but that wont stop him. Alistair will continue to come for her until she kills him. It's in the nature of a Visionary. They track and steal. Once he is gone, another will just take his place. It's a never ending cycle, Aiden."

"So you're saying we can never win?"

"The only way to win is if she were to beat Alistair and give up all of her Pilae powers and become a Liwah, like her father was. But, I cant ask her to do that. She is powerful now and I wont take that away from her."