Chapter 23: Black

With her black combat boots crunching against the gravel road, Liz made her way to the school. Her phone fixed in the back pocket of her black skinny jeans, which matched well with her black leather jacket and sleek, black leather gloves. That was all she could feel... black. That was all that she could see... black. That was everything and anything that surrounded her... black.

She approached the school building, not fearful like she was her first day of school, but powerful and strong. She came to the gate that surrounded the lacrosse field and without hesitation, she smoothly climbed over top of it. As she landed, Liz turned around and came face to face with Derek.

"Did you seriously walk here, Liz?"

"I needed to walk. I had a lot on my mind and I wouldn't trust myself driving." As Liz stared down Derek, all she could see was the blackness of his eyes that stared back at her.

"What did you need to talk about?"

"Follow me." She passed by him, making her way up to the main front doors of the school. She clenched her fists together, slowly backing up. Please let this work. Liz lifted her foot and kicked it into the door, knocking it open with ease. Derek stood in awe as she acted like it was nothing. Liz walked in, motioning him to follow, closing the door behind him as he did.

"Liz, what are we doing in here?"

"Would you just be quiet and follow me?" Liz hissed, continuing her stride to the exact location.

The pair turned down various hallways, making her feel nearly sick. She stopped when she came to barricaded doors with a sign hanging on it that read RESTRICTED in big bold letters. This didn't seem to phase either of them. Just as she had done with the front door, Liz stepped back and kicked at it. This time though, the lock didn't budge. Derek pushed her aside. "Let me try." Derek tried, but nothing worked.

She studied the door more, noticing a black lock hinging the two doors together. 'Of course the lock is black,' Liz thought to herself.

She looked at Derek as he stepped back in defeat. She focused her attention on him, but she didn't speak. All she did was hold up her fingers, counting down from 3. As soon as she hit one, they kicked at the door, knocking it loose from the locks grasp. Liz led him down the restricted hallway until they came to a glass case of various pictures and news clippings. They all read or pictured the same thing... black.

"Liz, what is all this?"

"Derek, I'm about to tell you something. Something big. You have to promise not to tell anyone. Not Scott. Not Isaac. Not Aiden. Nobody."

"I promise."

Liz took a deep breath. "You see that man in the picture?"

"Which one?" he asked, pointing at the picture full of men.

"That one, the one in the black," she said, pointing him out.

"Yeah, what about him?"

"That's my dad. My real dad."

"But that's not the man--"

"I know, that's not the man I killed," she spoke, cutting him off. "The man I killed was my adoptive father and the woman he killed was my adoptive mother."

"Liz, I don't, I don't understand."

She turned to face him directly. "My parents gave me up for adoption when I was young. I was nearly three months when it was an official adoption. My parents, my real parents, they were Visionaries. My father gave me to my adoptive father knowing he was a Visionary and knowing he would someday try to kill me. I knew that. See," Liz began walking to the opposite side of the hallway, "my parents knew that because they were both only Diruts that they would try to kill me too and they couldn't bare it, so they gave me up."

"But they gave you to someone who would kill you instead?"

"Not exactly. See, by the time my "dad" would try and kill me, they figured I would be powerful enough. They knew all along I would defeat my him, if I had the right guidance, hence the possession."

"By Alistair?"

"Yes, by Alistair."

"And your adoptive mother? What about her?"

"She's a normal human. Death comes for them a lot quicker than you and I, Derek."

"But you seemed so hurt by her loss? You still do, Liz. I can see it in your eyes," he said, approaching her.

"She was the closest thing I ever had to a mom, Derek. I can't pretend her death wasn't going to happen eventually but that doesn't mean it doesn't hurt." He lifted his hand up, cupping her cheek but she quickly maneuvered out of it, going back to the glass case. Liz stood and stared before speaking. "Do you know what the main color of a Visionary is, Derek?"

"Black."

"Correct. Look at the pictures. Look at the headlines in the papers. What do you notice?"

"Woman and man dressed in all black save the city of Beacon Hills in fight against the supernatural," he said, reading the paper. He turned back to Liz. "Beacon Hills? But I thought--"

"My parents lived here. My real parents. For a long time too. They were constantly moving around but always found themselves back in Beacon Hills. I moved here with my adoptive parents. I've known everything since birth. I knew about my parents. I knew about my powers. I knew what they did."

"Then why act like you didn't?"

"The suspicion. Who would trust a Visionary who knew exactly what she was and knew how to control her powers?"

"I would." A smile formed upon Liz's lips before she regained focus on the glass case again. "What about your real parents, then? Where are they?"

"I don't know. I mean I have ideas and everything, but exact location is a mystery to me."

"Do you remember them at all?" he asked, leaning against the black, darkened case.

"I was a baby, Derek."

"But you remember your powers and how to utilize them?"

"It's different, Derek. Let's just not talk about it."

"Okay, sure. But hey, Liz? Why do Visionaries wear black? I mean, I know its the color that symbolizes your kind but what does it mean? You didn't always wear it."

Liz took a deep breath. "It symbolizes war and strength."

"So what are you saying? You're preparing for war?"

"I might have to be. But I cant go at it alone, Derek."

He reached down, grabbing her hand. "I'm there."

"Thanks," she whispered, leaning into his shoulder.

"No problem," he whispered back. "Hey, Liz?"

"Yeah?"

"Last question I swear. But do you know their names? Your parents I mean? Did you ever find out?"

"Yeah. My mom, her name is Alaina."

"It's pretty. What about your dad?" he asked, his arm draped around her as they stared into the glass case that was lined with the color and word black.

Liz took a deep breath. "Alistair. His name is Alistair."