Chapter 35: Gone

Derek and Daier waited for a while. Liz's body was still and lifeless. Derek was sure she was dead and that she wasn't coming back. Daier helped him stay calm and hopeful.

More minutes passed, and finally, Derek noticed her eyelids twitching. Her eyes slowly opened back up.

"Hey," he whispered, kneeling at her side. Daier rushed over upon hearing him talk.

"Hey," she smiled back. He lifted her up, sitting her up straight.

"How do you feel?" her father asked.

"Fine." Derek could see the tension in her eyes. It was like she didn't want to be here. "Dad?"

"Yes, Elizabeth?"

"Why did you never tell me about Elijah?"

"Wh-what?"

"I saw him, dad. Why would you never tell me I had a twin brother? Granted you were gone for a long time in my life but you had to have been thinking of him when you came back."

"I didn't think you would want to see him. When you were adopted, he didn't want to be. He abandoned you. I didn't think you would ever want to see him again, Elizabeth. I'm sorry."

"Well, you're wrong. I do. I want to see him. I didn't know anything about him," she said, crossing her arms.

"As you wish. I shall bring him back to you." Daier left the room, leaving the two of us alone.

Derek sat beside her on the couch, clutching her hand. "Are you going to tell me the life you chose?"

She paused. "I'm sorry, Derek. I can't be with you. I have to leave town."

"What? Why?" I yell-whispered.

"It's not safe. Something happened on the other side. I couldn't choose and so my body chose for me."

"And?"

"It's not good, Derek."

"So what? You're just going to leave now because of some decision?"

"You don't get it. I'm not who I was, Derek! I don't know what happened but all I know is I'm a Liwah now. The longer I stay around my father and brother, the more I will try to kill them and take my power back. I can't do anything about it."

"You're stronger than that, Liz. I know you are!"

"Derek, stop. I just need you to let me go. Please. I want my brother to live, that's why I'm having my dad bring him back. I'm sorry. Look, I don't have a lot of time. I just need you to close your eyes and when you open them, I'll be gone." Tears bubbled in her eyes.

Derek wiped them with his thumb, cupping her face. Planting one last kiss on her lips, he pulled away from her slowly, closing his eyes. "I love you, Lizzie." As his eyes remained shut, a gust of wind came at his face and when he reopened his eyes, she was gone.

Derek let out a deep breath, taking in what had just happened. Daier soon entered with Elijah, questioning where Liz was. "She's gone," was all he could say.

Months passed and she never came back. Derek had to move on with his life. So he did.

-----

It was five years later. Beacon Hills was still Beacon Hills. Everyone was different. Life was better. Derek was happy. He had forgotten anything that happened in the past years. Everything was finally settling down. It was a late night. Derek sat in bed, Addi, his girlfriend, laid up against him.