Chapter 28: Alexander

Elizabeth's eyes fluttered open, unable to make out any faces she knew. The room was dark, musty, and cold. As her vision came to, she noticed three men standing before her.

"Morning, sunshine," one of them said.

Elizabeth reached up, rubbing at her eyes, her hands still bound with rope.

"Who, who are you?" she asked.

One of the men walked towards her, grabbing her by the arm, and pulling her up. "Come on, stand up."

"Where are you taking me? Where's Derek?"

"You'll see your little boyfriend soon enough. Now, walk," said the man who originally spoke. The weaker and more innocent one kept his grip firmly on her arm as the other two walked far ahead, talking about who knows what.

"What are they gonna do to me?" Her voice was shaky as she spoke.

He remained quiet.

"Please, I need to get out of here. You don't understand."

The guard stopped walking and looked ahead at the two men in front of them. While the other guards kept walking, he quickly pulled Elizabeth into a hallway, which branched off from the main corridor. As she tried to scream, he cupped his hand over her mouth.

"Shh! If you don't be quiet, we will both be dead. Are you going to listen to me? And not scream?" She nodded. "Good," he said, removing his hand.

"What's going on? Where am I? Where's Derek?"

"Derek is fine. They won't harm him. They know what he is and what he is capable of. It's you they want. We've never seen anything like you before."

"Who's we?" Elizabeth asked, keeping still as he slowly loosened his grip.

"Anyone you see. We're Visionary hunters. Just like werewolves have hunters, so do your kind. It's not something we choose to be. We were all Visionaries of our own at one point. We had our powers taken and it was either become a human or kill those who destroyed who we once were."

"You'd kill your own kind? But why?"

"I couldn't go back to being a normal human, Elizabeth."

"You know my name?"

"Of course," he said, proudly.

She looked up at him. "What's yours?"

"Alexander."

"Can I call you Alex?"

"Yeah," he smiled.

"Okay, Alex, mind telling me what they plan to do with me then?"

"You're just an experiment right now. They want to know what you can do. We've seen bits and pieces but we've heard stories of other things."

"Like what?" she asked, trying to wriggle her wrists free of the ropes, nonchalantly.

"How you have been possessed, killed a man you called your father, and rebelled against your parents."

As her hands slowly became free, she kept them behind her back, acting casual. "What do they know about my parents?"

"That's where I come in. My parents were close friends with yours. I'm supposed to get the information on them, hoping they'd be easier on me if we ever came in contact with them."

"That doesn't answer my question, Alex. What do they know now?"

"All they know is that your mother is alive with her second husband. Your father is dead. You made a deal with your mother but nobody quite knows what."

"That's all you know?"

"That's all," he said. Elizabeth waited for the perfect moment to take action. As soon as he looked away for a second, she pressed all her force against him, holding him against the wall with her hands.

He smirked. "I admire the fight in you," he said, twisting her arms in a position so that he was now in control. With her arms behind her back, he pushed Elizabeth back towards the wall. Her face pressed against the cold stone wall as he whispered in her ear, "You want to try that again?" Shivers went down her spine.

She turned her head slightly to get a good view on him. Looking him directly in the eyes, she said, "No," with a smirk. Unexpectedly, he turned Liz around, smashing his lips onto hers with immense force. With one swift push, he collided with the ground.

"What the hell?!"

"I thought you wanted to?" he asked softly.

"Well, I did, but I can't." Elizabeth reached down, helping him stand. "Right now, my only concern is getting Derek and getting out of here. But here's the real question. Are you going to help me or not?" He nodded with a smile. "Good. Now, tie my hands back together, but loosely. Enough for me to get out of them easily. Lead me to Derek."

Just as he finished tying her hands, she turned to face him. "Alex, you have to promise me something."

"Anything."

"Whatever you do. No matter what happens. Don't be around me if a fight happens. I can't control what I do. I nearly killed Derek once and he was still my boyfriend then." Elizabeth felt a bit odd using the B word. She and Derek never really acknowledge the B and G word but in a weird way, it felt good to say out loud.

"I promise. Now, we better get going before they realize we aren't behind them anymore."

"You don't think they already noticed?" She asked, confused.

"Lizzie, they've been talking about the old days for years. They won't stop now."

Elizabeth laughed. "Okay, lets go," she said with a smile.

They ran to catch up to the two men and just as Alex had said, they were still talking. The group approached the final corner of their endless hallway journey. Upon entering a room, something caught Elizabeth's eye. A gun was fixed on Derek's temple. Elizabeth lost it. She unfastened her hands and placed them up in the air, yelling, "STOP!"

Then, something peculiar happened. Time seemed to have stopped. Everything was in slow motion except for herself. She ran to Derek, kicking away the gunman and bringing Derek to safety in one of the halls.

"Stay here," she whispered.

Elizabeth crouched to the ground, her eyes closed and head drooped. Seconds felt like minutes. She reopened her eyes and faced the men.

Her smile grew as the men began to step away in fear.