III: The Good Doctor

Bzzz. Bzzzz. Bzzzz.

My hand scrambled for my phone, trying to stop the buzzing that was starting to drive me crazy. I didn't even bother looking at who was calling, I just kept my eyes practically glued shut.

"Hello," I grumbled, still half asleep.

"Where the hell are you?!"

"Nowhere bad, Tracy, chill out."

I sat up slowly, knowing that my head was going to throb the second I moved too quickly.

"Well at least give me some details, who did you go home with," my friend said with a snort.

Tracy had always been one for the dirty details even though I wasn't one to share those details. She was still mad at me for not giving up the juicy story from junior prom night.

"My b-"

I stopped myself short, glancing around for a moment to really take in the fact that Lila Masters had taken me home.

"My boss," I finally muttered.

"Wait! So you guys fu-"

"No Tracy! We didn't have sex, for god sake why is your mind always in the gutter."

I could feel my face turning redder by the second as I thought back to the night before. Dr. Masters had... well the only way I could think to put it: she came on to me. I had to close my eyes and take a deep breath to calm my frantic heart when my mind started to wander to what could have happened last night.

"Hello! Earth to Logan! Are you even listening?"

"Sorry I'm still kind of asleep," I muttered, getting out of bed and moving to the door.

"I asked why you went home with her if you guys didn't get it on," she asked.

I rolled my eyes, knowing my best friend was smirking on the other end of the line.

"She said the bartender tried to slip me something so she wanted to get me out of that club."

Tracy went quiet for a moment before yelling something I didn't catch, "Hey, I gotta go. But I wanna hear about last night, loves!"

"Tracy I told you we didn't-"

The three beeps in my ear made me sigh, telling me that she had hung up on me, something she had a bad habit of doing. I had moved out of the guest room and into the living room at that point.

"We didn't what?"

I nearly leapt out of my skin at that sound of her beautiful voice. The surgeon was sitting at her black granite topped bar, an eyebrow quirked up in question. There were files laid out in front of her and a mug, of what I assumed by the smell drifting about the room was coffee, sat within her reach. But I wasn't paying much attention to those things. What caught my attention was her unbuttoned blue shirt, resting open to reveal a laced black bra.

"I uh.... um nothing," I stumbled over my words, forcing myself to look away as I tucked a strand of hair behind my ear.

"It didn't sound like nothing," she said into her coffee mug, barely hiding a smirk.

"My friend was just asking where I got off to last night," I muttered, daring myself to get closer.

Dr. Masters didn't respond to me, instead she just returned her attention to the file she had laying open in front of her. I glanced at my phone to check the time and I remembered with a start I was supposed to be at soccer practice in an hour and a half.

"Shit!"

I instantly regretted the outburst when my head started throbbing like no other but I still scrambled for the door.