XXIII: Stop, Breathe, Cry If You Must, But Keep Going

Logan

When Dad picked me up I truly had no idea what to think. He stayed silent for the first few moments as we just sat in the parking lot, watching the snow fall a little heavier now. Taking a deep breath I braved speaking, not entirely sure if he was mad like my mom was.

"Dad, why is Mom so mad," I asked carefully.

"She thanked Trevor's parents for letting you borrow their car," he said, continuing to stare out into the white night.

His words slammed into my like a huge truck and I for a fleeting moment I lost the ability to breathe properly. Had she really found out? No there was no way; yes she had found out Trevor wasn't the one loaning me the car but that didn't mean she had found out it was Lila. The chances were just too slim for that. Right?

"To say his parents were confused is an understatement," Dad grumbled, running a hand through his already ruffled hair.

"Your mom won't say anything to me but I already know... I've seen Lila's car before. Before you ever drove it home in fact."

I could actually feel my face pale, all the blood rushing to my gut as panic and anxiety ripped through me like a tornado. I couldn't look at him now, I didn't want my dad to see the fear and panic setting in.

"Logan, sweetheart please look at me," Dad said softly, resting a comforting hand on my shoulder.

Meeting his gaze wasn't so hard but keeping the alarmed tears from falling was getting difficult.

"You've been seeing Lila Masters correct?"

A shaky nod.

"Does she make you happy?"

I smiled letting out a huff of a laugh almost rolling my eyes as I wiped a tear away.

"There's been some ups and downs but... yes. She really does," I whispered smiling at my dad.

"You know I support you. When we get home I'm going to have your back on this no matter what your mother thinks. I just want you to be happy. And if Lila Masters makes you happy and can give you a better life than we have - well then she's got my blessing."

My heart melted at my dad's kind words and before he could start to drive I lunged at him across the middle console. Hugging him tightly and crying into his shoulder, I didn't want to let go. I would need him behind me tonight for the war of words that was going to ensue with the momma bear. Dad returned the hug as best he could with a loving chuckle.

"Let's go home and get this over with shall we?"

As we drove dad patted my hand, trying to offer a little solace and it helped, so much. Just knowing that he supported this, even though I had been sneaking around him and my mom for months now. But with him backing me on this things would be okay, I could feel it. At least I wouldn't have to hide it from my family anymore and oddly enough that gave me a sense of relief.

"Hot chocolate when we get home? Before Mom bears down like a beast,"I asked with a laugh as we slowed to a stop at a red light.

"I'll do my best to help you with that but most likely she'll be right at the door when we get home. You know how she is," he chuckled, turning slightly to smile at me.

"Well we can at least try," I sighed smiling back as the light turned green and we began to roll forward.

Life can change in the blink of an eye or the drop of a pin and there's nothing we can do to stop it...

There was a loud bleat of a horn, bright head lights bearing down on us, my dad's arm swinging up to push me back into my seat protectively and then the god awful crunching of metal on metal. Then nothing but black...