XX: Where Do We Go

Logan

What a shitty night... that's all I could think as I walked back into the gala. I just wanted to run away from the problem and hide in my bed for the rest of my life. But the issue there - I rode here with my family and my mom was enjoying the whole mingling aspect of this gala way too much.

"What's wrong, Logan?"

My distracted attention turned to my sister, almost not processing her question.

"Nothing. I'm fine, I just don't really want to be social right now."

"It has something to do with your boss doesn't it," she asked nonchalantly with an annoying smirk.

"What? Why would you say that," I grumbled turning away to hide the angry expression that had settled on my face.

"Because you weren't even this off until after you came back from talking to her. What would you two need to talk about alone hm?"

I snapped, rounding on my sister more aggressively than I had intended.

"It's none of your business!"

"Oh it's not? You're sleeping with her aren't you? Ha, oh Mom's gonna kill you," Marissa said her smirk even cockier than before.

"I'm sure she'd love to know that you and our coach have been sleeping together," I hissed, pulling her farther away from our parents.

Her eyes widened and then narrowed in anger, "You wouldn't dare."

"Keep your mouth shut about Dr. Masters and you'll never have to find out. But there's nothing going on between us."

Marissa stormed away from me without another word while I went out to the front of the hotel needing the fresh air more than anything. I had the sudden need to get the god damn dress off. I didn't want to wear it if she paid for it. Once I got to my dad's truck I pulled my phone out of the cup holder in the backseat and called Tracy, but received no answer.

"Logan?"

"What?!"

I snapped, turning to look at who spoke, fighting back the tears that were beginning to spill.

"Are you okay," Trevor asked, putting his hands up to show he meant no harm.

"I-I..."

I just started bawling, too many emotions were swirling around in my head and I couldn't hold it back anymore. He pulled me into him, letting me cry in his shoulder. Why? Why did I let myself get in this deep? I should have known better; known that someone like Lila Masters would never really have feelings for someone like me.

"Do you need to talk about it," Trevor asked quietly, backing away just enough to look me in the eye.

"It's just stupid... I'm sorry you had to see me like this," I said with a sniffle, knowing my makeup was probably smeared all over my face.

He gave a charming smile and pulled a handkerchief out of his shirt pocket, offering it up.

"This is gonna sound silly but you look like a raccoon," he said with a gentle laugh.

I looked in the mirror of my dad's truck and couldn't help but laugh; he was right my mascara smeared the way it was made me look like a raccoon. After wiping my makeup off I gave him a gentle hug.

"Thanks, Trevor... I'm sorry again."

"It's okay, Logan, you don't have to apologize. I just wanted to make sure you were okay."

I looked at him for a moment, actually feeling a stab of affection.

"Hey um, would you mind giving me a ride home? I really don't want to be here anymore," I asked, tucking a loose strand of hair behind my ear.