XIV: Family Matters

All I can say is wow... We'd never had it rough before but damn! It was something I thought I could get used to. Lila had claimed that no one could hear us but I must have gotten too loud because when I finally crashed over that sublime edge she had put her hand over my mouth to silence me. As we laid there on the cold floor with our scrubs in a haphazard pile next to us she had started laughing at me. Saying something along the lines of me never being that loud before. Using the lights on our phones to get our clothes together took a few minutes but once we did, it was right back to her office.

As she drove me home I would go back and forth between sneaking glances at her and staring out the window. The surgeon had changed back into her button up and slacks after our little quickie. Her dark hair was up in a messy bun making her look even more gorgeous in my eyes. She had one hand on the wheel and the other on the middle console. One finger was tapping impatiently against the leather, indicating that something was still bothering her.

"Lila... What's wrong," I asked, watching her face closely for a reaction.

"Nothing. Just thinking," she answered, her eyes never leaving the road.

"Who was that woman?"

No reply, but her body language said it all. I saw a muscle jump in her neck as she clenched her jaw and her grip on the steering wheel tightened dangerously. That wasn't a good sign at all...

"She's the new Chief of Medicine," the surgeon said through her teeth.

"Why do you seem so mad about it," I tried, attempting to hide my growing frown.

"She and I don't see eye to eye on a lot of things."

Her Audi slowed as she turned into my school parking lot where my car had been sitting for two days now. Throwing the car in park, she just sat there, her grip not loosening on the steering wheel even a bit. My seat belt slid free and I leaned over, turning her face to press my lips to hers. After a moment of hesitation she returned the gentle kiss, her tongue begging for entrance. I gave her what she wanted, as I always did, my fingers tangling in her dark locks. The action pulled her hair free of its restraint. With our foreheads pressed together I looked her in the eye, willing that wall to come down with a gentle smile.

"It'll all be okay, I promise," I whispered.

All in one heart wrenching second I watched that guard she wore fall. As if my words struck something deep inside her. Lila slowly pulled away, her gaze leaving mine.

"I'll see you on Friday," she whispered.

I grabbed my soccer bag and slung it over my shoulder as she put the car in drive, waiting to pull away until I shut the door. I watched her receding tail lights for a few seconds before getting in my car. The damn thing took three tries to start so I gave it a minute for the engine to heat up. I texted Tracy while I waited, asking her if she could come over to talk. I felt like I had done something wrong, but maybe I was over thinking it. Just as I was about to drive away I noticed a car pull in at the far side of the parking lot. It looked a bit familiar but it was hard to tell in the dark.

The passenger climbed out and began walking in the direction my car sat. The car drove away after the driver leaned out and said something to the girl. As she got closer I realized with a start that it was Marissa. I rolled my window down as fast as my arm would move and stuck my head out.

"Mari!"

I saw the hesitation, coupled with the dirty look but after a second my sister caved and rushed to my car. After the passenger door was shut we were off, headed for home.

"What are you doing out this late?"

There was that dirty look again...

"I could ask you the same thing. I was with a friend," she grumbled, folding her arms and looking away from me.