V: Out on a Date

"Mom why do you hate me, like honestly," I groaned, putting my head down on the kitchen table in frustration.

"What is it with teenagers thinking their parents hate them," I heard her ask my father as if I couldn't hear her.

"Give her a break sweetheart," my dad said with a sigh, the poor man looked more tired every time I saw him.

"Logan, it's one date. It's not going to hurt anything," my mom said with a dismissive wave of her hand.

"Fine," I snapped before storming upstairs to change into my scrubs.

It had been about a week since the incident in the good doctor's office. I tried my best to avoid her when I was there but I when I was around her I could feel her watching. And that blasted smirk of hers; she was always careful though, only ever giving me those looks of hers when no one but me was looking. There had been no more physical contact since the hickey but I'd be lying if I said I didn't want there to be more.

My mother, in her infinite wisdom, set me up on a date with the son of one of the other nurses. Her son just happened to be the star quarterback at another high school. Not only was I going on a blind date, I was going on a blind date with someone from a rival school. To make matters worse, just when I thought they couldn't get any worse, we were going to the restaurant Tracy and I had been to just the week before. Being as pissed as I was at my mother I drove to work by myself, not wanting to spend anymore time arguing about the damn date. As I grumpily walked through the front doors, Mary Watson waved me down.

"Woah, girl you look like you woke up on the wrong side of the bed," she said with a concerned gleam.

"Sorry, Mary, I'm just pissed. My mom thought it was a good idea to set me up on a blind date," I said leaning against the counter, with my chin resting on the counter top.

"Oh, that's unfortunate. Bad break up?"

"What?"

I stared at her now, not understanding what she meant by any means. I wasn't dating anyone, why would she think I had had a bad break up?

"Did you have a break up? I mean, I saw a hickey on your neck earlier this week. Mom's usually try to fix things when their kids are hurting..."

She trailed off reading the clear confusion in my expression.

"Okay I'm just making myself sound dumb. Ignore me," she laughed.

I tried to laugh with her but it wouldn't come. If she had seen the hickey who else had seen it?

"Oh hey I almost forgot. The whole reason I waved you down - can you take these papers to Dr. Masters for me? She's not a big fan of me so I try to avoid her offices."

"Great, someone else I don't want to talk to," I said with a forced smile, taking the papers with me.

"Thanks Logan, I appreciate it," the woman said with a genuine smile in return.

I impatiently tapped my finger against the papers under my arm as I waited for the elevator. My day hasn't even started and I already wanted it over with. About three floors before the one I wanted to be on, the elevator stopped and the doors opened. My eyes remained on the screen of my phone checking my Instagram feed but out of the corner of my eye I noticed the two white lab coats. I moved over to give the two doctors room but my heart skipped a beat when one of them spoke.

"Good morning, Logan."

I looked up at Dr. Masters and shot a glance at the blonde doctor beside her. The blonde looked oddly familiar but I just returned my gaze to my phone and mumbled a greeting, trying to put more space between me and them.