XIX: Guardian's Gala

One day... that's all the time that had passed since I'd seen the picture. As angry, as hurt as I was I couldn't bring myself to confront Lila about it. Though I was ignoring her texts; the surgeon had sent a message inviting me over for the night but I just ignored it for a good two hours. I had school to focus on after all... right? The schedule at work said I was supposed to work today but I called another CNA and asked her to cover it for me, claiming that I didn't feel well. Even being in Lila's car stirred up the frustration and confusion.

When I got home no one was around so I just hid away in my room for most of the afternoon. I must have fallen asleep because when my door swung open I fell out of my bed. The glare I sent my mom's way was a harsh one.

"Logan are you alright," she asked helping me off the floor.

"Not the best way to wake up, Mom," I grumbled.

"That's not really what I meant, Penelope said you had her cover your shift because you were sick."

"Oh... yeah I'm fine I just didn't feel like going to work today. Sorry."

"Hmm, well I have good news. We can go pick out your dress for the Harvest Dance tonight."

"Tonight? The dance isn't for another 3 weeks."

Mom gave a dismissive wave of her hand, "Well you'll need it for more than the dance. There's a gala for the hospital tomorrow night."

My brow furrowed as anxiety twisted in my gut. A gala for the hospital meant seeing Lila and I still wasn't ready; but it wasn't just anxiety swirling around me it was excitement. Lila Masters always looked stunning in a dress and no matter how upset I was with her the attraction couldn't be denied.

"Do I have to go?"

"Yes, Logan you have to go. Our family was invited so our family will attend," she said sternly.

"Let's go we have to go pick you out a dress."

While pulling a sweatshirt on my phone buzzed and I wasn't surprised to see another text from Lila.

Are you okay?

I didn't waste time responding this go around.

I just don't feel very good. Plus I have to go dress shopping tonight.

What shop are you going to?

Her reply had been fast and with a sigh I sent my reply, wondering why the hell she was asking.

Fierce Dress.

I left the iPhone on my nightstand and rushed downstairs to meet my mom at the door. It took a couple hours but we finally settled on a dress. It was a navy blue with little black designs blended into it, low cut and hugged my hips just right. The hem came to a stop just above my calves and it was sleeveless. In the changing room I spent a moment just staring at my reflection in the mirror. The dress really was gorgeous but, I just didn't feel like I could enjoy it. On the other hand though, I knew Lila well enough by now to know she wouldn't be able to keep her eyes off me. That was the goal. When I finally left the dressing room, Mom's hands went to her mouth and her eyes almost immediately began to water.

"Oh my beautiful girl..." she said pulling me into a hug.

"You're so gorgeous!"

"Thanks, Mom," I said smiling as I hugged her back.

Maybe this wouldn't be so bad? We got to the counter to check out after I changed back into my T-shirt and jeans and put the dress back on it's hanger.