XXVI: When Will We Learn?

Logan

"Oh my god Logan I'm so glad you're okay," Mom said around her loud sniffles.

She was hugging me awkwardly as I still couldn't really sit up all the way. I hugged her back, feeling the tears threatening to spill over at the raw emotion. I wasn't hurting bad but I knew it was only a matter of time before the pain hit me again. Mom backed away finally, fiddling with the pitcher of water and the small plastic cup beside it. I nodded when she offered and gratefully sipped at the cool water for a few seconds.

"That was quite nice of Dr. Masters to come check on you."

"Yeah," I croaked, keeping a careful eye on my mother's back.

She wouldn't turn to meet my gaze now and that was worrying me.  After all, the whole reason Dad had come to get me from the dance was because Mom bad found out about me and Lila right? Was she really determined to have that talk still? Even after the accident?

"Why did she let you borrow her car?"

Straight to the point... great...

"What are you talking about?"

"Don't. Don't you dare lie to me right now young lady," Mom said, her voice catching around a sob, but her back still to me.

"I... because. She found out about my car and offered. She was kind enough to make sure I had a ride to and from work," I replied, gripping the sheets and praying she would just believe me.

"Why did you let your father and I believe it was Trevor?"

Now she finally faced me, a questioning blaze in her watery, red eyes. Mom had seemed a bit off when she had come back into the room after leaving to ask Lila something. It had taken her a good fifteen minutes to return. What the hell was going on?

"You saw what you wanted," I tried, gulping down the lump in my throat.

"That's not answering my question."

"You technically never asked..."

"Withholding the truth is still lying, Logan!"

Okay... my responses were definitely not helping. She was just getting angrier.

"Why does it matter, Mom? I took her car back. I felt bad for borrowing it so long."

"Please just stop lying to me."

"What-"

"Have you been... sexually involved with Dr. Masters?"

Fuck... why, why did she have to put it out in the open like that? Now I couldn't meet her gaze. The look pooling in her tired eyes was one of sadness, fear and apprehension.

"Yes..."

Her hand went over her mouth as she clearly choked back yet another sob. Now disappointment held the forefront in her eyes, making my grip on the sheets tighten in fear of what was to come.

"No, no, no... you're not like that. There's no way... we raised you right," my mother muttered, more to herself, looking on the verge of coming apart at the seams.

"It has nothing to do with how you and Dad raised me-"

"She forced herself on you. That's it, yes that's the explanation. She took advantage of her position as your boss."

"No, Mom it isn't like that at all-"

"It's ok, sweetie. I'm going to make this right I promise."