Chapter One:

*amazing new trailer, created by _brechje_ <3

CHAPTER ONE:

Charlie met me at the airport. His face had more lines since the last time I'd seen it and his hair was greyer, but it was still undoubtedly him. When I caught sight of him, I couldn't help the exhausted smile that broke over my face and the moment I was within arms reach he pulled me into his arms and hugged me tight.

If I hadn't been as physically and emotionally as I was, I'd probably feel awkward and slightly stunned– Charlie and I had never been the type for sharing physical affection. But I was that tired and as my father held me in his arms, the inevitable tears started falling. Before I even realized it, I was crying great big ugly tears into his shoulder, my whole body shaking with the force of them, and Charlie was rubbing my back and making soothing noises. "It's gonna be okay, Bells, it's gonna be okay." He assured me, over and over again.

It took longer then I would have liked, but eventually I regained enough control to stop the tears and I stepped back slightly, wiping across my eyes with the back of my hand. Charlie gently took my hands, small and cold, in his own warm, calloused ones and looked at me with serious eyes that were perfect copies of my own. "You'll be safe here." He said firmly and there was a fierce promise in his voice and expression.

Still, I couldn't help my doubt. I knew my father could keep me safe from the ordinary monsters of the world– but I wasn't in danger from ordinary monsters and even as I gave Charlie a watery smile of thanks I couldn't help but wonder just how safe I would be in the sleepy town of Forks, Washington.

Together, Charlie and I located my luggage with very little difficulty. My Hogwarts trunk stood out amongst all the normal bags and suitcases, gaining me more then a few strange looks– less then they would if I'd been travelling with Griselda, though.

Speaking of the feathery menace– "Is the bird cage still set up?" I asked Charlie, my voice only a little rough from the crying, and he nodded.

"Took it out of the garage straight after you called." He assured me and I forced my tired, downcast features into a small but genuine smile.

"Thanks dad."

"No problem kiddo. Ready to go h-home?" He stumbled slightly over the last word, but something inside me warmed slightly at the sound of it– home.

"Yeah. I'm ready." I told him, and I meant it.

It was quiet, awkward almost, as we made our way through the airport and over to where Charlie's cruiser was parked. Watching Charlie grunt as he lifted up my trunk made my heart hurt and the corners of my mouth turn down. One flick of my wand and all that trouble would be gone, my trunk either levitated or made as light as a feather. But right now that was impossible– and it was all because of the Trace, the charm put on underage witches and wizards to detect when they cast magic that was currently being used by the corrupted British Ministry of Magic to round up any underage witches and wizards on the run.

Witches and wizards like me. I couldn't use magic without notifying the very people I'd just fled Britain to get away from of my whereabouts– and I wasn't under any illusion that that couldn't quite possibly end up being my death sentence.

"Three months," I told myself quietly, speaking aloud under my breath. "Just three months." Because in three months I would turn seventeen. In three months the Trace would be lifted.

In three months I would be free to use my magic.

"You okay, Bells?" Charlie asked, his voice audibly concerned, and I started slightly, realizing I'd been staring at nothing for who knew how long. A light blush warmed my cheeks and I nodded.