Chapter Twenty-Six:

CHAPTER TWENTY-SIX:

My strangled screams woke me up. This was not unusual. What was unusual, was that the room I was in was not one I recognized. It wasn't my bedroom at Charlie's, with the yellow lace curtains, or at Renee's with the awful pink walls, or my dorm room, with my four poster bed and it's blue and bronze hangings, or Luna's bedroom, with the paintings on the ceiling. It was a bland room with white walls, bedside lamps bolted to the table, long drapes made of the same fabric as the bedspread and the generic watercolor prints on the walls.

"Bella?" I heard a cautious voice ask, and I jackknifed into a sitting position, spinning around, only to lay eyes on...

"Alice?" I asked, confused, looking at the tiny vampire. Then everything came flooding back to me- the baseball game, the tracker, the plan.

I looked around the room with fresh eyes, at last recognizing it for what it was- a hotel room- as I tried to remember how I got here. The last thing I remembered was a sleek black car with windows darker then a limousine, racing along freeways at more then twice the legal speed.

Alice's face was kind and concerned. "Are you alright?" she asked, and I gave a weak smile.

"Right as rain." I answer, vaguely, my hand moving to touch my left sleeve. Underneath the thick material of my Ravenclaw jersey, I could feel the soothing shape of my wand. Alice's expression was concerned, but she nodded, not pressing the matter.

"Are you hungry?" she asked, instead. I shook my head.

"How about you?"

"Nothing unmanageable." She assures me. "I ordered some food for you. It's in the front room. Edward told me that I have to nag you until you eat whether you're hungry or not." I perk up slightly.

"Edward rang?"

"No, he told me before we left." Alice admitted. I sighed, and allowed Alice to tug me out of the bed, to my feet. She carefully led me through the door into the living room of the hotel suite. I could hear a low buzz of voices coming from the TV. Jasper sat motionlessly at the desk in the corner, his eyes watching the news with no glimmer of interest.

"Do you mind if I change the channel?" I ask him, as I flop down to the ground beside a small coffee table, where a tray of food waited.

"Go ahead." He said, in his deep voice, nodding. I pick up the remote and flick through the channels until I reach an international one, one focused on England.

"Police are no closer to solving the mystery of the group behind the recent string of terrorist attacks-" blared the reporter, and I ignored the voice, instead focusing on the images of the damage. Without Potterwatch, I'd have to rely on the muggle news to see what was happening.

My breath caught in my throat as I took in the images of destruction- a large bridge had collapsed, for no discernable reason, sending hundreds of cars plummeting into the ocean. The words 'No Survivors' were flashed across the bottom of the screen.

I wondered what spell the Death Eaters had used- likely, a simple expulso aimed at the right place would have been enough. Over three hundred people dead, and for what? Muggle hunting?

I closed my eyes, and stood back up, changing the channel. "I think I'll go read in the bedroom." I state, my voice thick with grief.

"You should eat something," Alice says, flitting over to my side, her expression worried. I shake my head- I'm even less hungry now then I was before. "Bella... do you want to talk about it?" she asks, still not moving, and a small bubble of laughter spills over my lips.