Chapter Twenty-Two:

CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO:

It was just beginning to drizzle when Edward dropped me off back at my house. Charlie wasn't home yet, so I pulled out my old radio, and listened to Potterwatch until I heard Charlie's car in the garage. I'd been... avoiding it lately, not wanting to be reminded of the unhappiness, when I was actually kind of happy.

Hearing the front door slam, I pushed away the now familiar sickness that clung to me like a second skin after being updated on the world I'd fled, and walked towards where I could hear Charlie banging around under the stairs, putting his tackle away. "Hey dad," I greeted him.

"Hi there, kiddo!" he replied, turning to try and give me a hug. I skip backwards.

"Ew dad! You stink!" I exclaim, and he laughs, dropping his arms back to his sides.

"Whoops, sorry Bells."

"Go clean up, I'll heat up some dinner." I roll my eyes.

"Okay." Charlie agrees, without complaint.

I fix us up some of the left over fish fry that Charlie brought home the other day while he showers, and it doesn't take long till we're sitting at the table, eating in silence. It was Charlie who broke the comfortable silence.

"What did you do with yourself today?" he asked.

"Well, this afternoon I just hung out around the house..." Only the very, very recent part of this afternoon, actually, but, semantics. "And this morning I was over at the Cullens."

A grin split Charlie's face in half. "Dr. Cullen's place, huh?" he asked, and I blushed.

"Well, I sort of have a... date with Edward tonight, and he wanted to introduce me to his parents." I mumbled. Charlie chuckled.

"The Edward that doesn't go for girls like you, huh?" he teased me. I blushed harder.

"Dad!"

"So is he your boyfriend, then?" Charlie's voice was still teasing.

"I don't know!" I groan, "maybe? Sort of?" Charlie snickered, enjoying my embarrassment.

"When is he coming over then?"

"He'll be over in a few minutes."

"And where is he taking you?" I groaned again- loudly.

"Dad! What's with the Spanish Inquisition? We're just going to play baseball with his family! Promise!" Charlie observes me for several long moments, before his face creases into a smile.

"I'm happy you're feeling happier, Bells."

"Edward makes me feel happy." I admit, "it's so... nice." I hear the roar of a car engine in the driveway and jump up, ready to start clearing the dishes.

"Leave the dishes, I can do them tonight." Charlie interrupts my movements. I smile at him.

"Thank you dad." The doorbell rings, and Charlie instantly stalks off to answer it and I follow him, amused. As Charlie opened the door to reveal Edward standing on the steps, looking like a male model in an advertisement for raincoats and umbrellas, a thought hit me that caused me to pale.

Edward could read Charlie's mind. Charlie knew I was a witch.

Oh god!

Why hadn't this struck me before? I wondered, hysteria starting to creep up inside me. Oh, Merlin's saggy testicles. I needed to get Edward out of here, asap.

"Bella?" I heard someone say, and my gaze flipped up, and my cheeks went pink as I realized both Edward and Charlie were staring at me.

"So, I know you guys have already met, but dad this is my boyfriend Edward. Edward, this is my dad. Charlie."