Chapter Twenty-Four:

CHAPTER TWENTY-FOUR:

I'd learned to basically tune out the reaction my magic had to the Cullens. First, it was just Edward who had faded to a barely noticeable tingle. And over time of seeing them at school, I'd built up, I guess you could call it a tolerance, for the other Cullen 'siblings'.

Going into their house had been a bit of a shock to my system- despite the fact I was used to their presences, didn't change the reaction my magic had to being in their "lair". It was a survival mechanism. A vampire radar, of sorts.

And my radar went off with a vehemence; my magic rushing through me like a wave of electricity, flaring up, twisting, coiling... As the nomad vampires emerged one by one from the forest edge, my wand hand was twitching almost without my permission, and I could basically feel my magic crackling around me.

The first male into the clearing fell back immediately, allowing the other male to take the front, orienting himself around the tall, dark-haired man in a manner which pointed towards who it was, exactly, that led the pack. The third member of the coven was a woman with vibrant red hair.

They closed ranks, venturing forwards towards Edward's family cautiously, exhibiting the natural respect of a troop of predators as it encounters a larger, unfamiliar group of its own kind. As they approached, I picked up on small details which set them apart from the Cullens. They moved with a more predatory grace, a cat-like gait that seemed constantly on the edge of shifting into a crouch. They were dressed in casual back-packer gear, but their clothing was frayed, and they were all barefoot.

Their sharp eyes carefully took in the more polished, urbane stance of Carlisle, who, flanked by Emmett and Jasper, stepped forwards guardedly to meet them. Without any seeming communication between them, they each straightened into a more casual bearing.

I briefly took note of their beauty, but what really drew my attention were their eyes. I knew that human drinkers had red eyes. I'd even seen those red eyes before in person, but after being around the Cullen's for so long the deep burgundy, like a pools of blood, were a shock.

The dark-skinned man, smiling, stepped toward Carlisle. "We thought we heard a game," he said in a relaxed voice, with the slightest hint of a French accent, "I'm Laurent, these are Victoria and James." He gestured to the vampires behind him.

"I'm Carlisle. This is my family, Emmett and Jasper, Rosalie, Esme and Alice, Edward and Bella." He pointed us out in groups, deliberately not calling attention to individuals. A rush of warmth spread through me when he said my name.

"Do you have room for a few more players?" Laurent asked, sociably. Carlisle matched Laurent's friendly tone. Seriously? They came over to visit a potentially hostile coven of vampires, all for a game of ruddy baseball? Were they idiots?

"Actually, we were just finishing up. But we'd certainly be interested in another time. Are you planning to stay in the area for long?" It was like a house of cards, I noted. Each word, carefully chosen, each movement, carefully noted. One wrong step, and the whole thing would come crumbling down. The tense atmosphere was making my nose itch, and I shifted slightly, fighting the urge to scratch it, and thus give away my status as Not A Vampire.

"We're headed north, in fact, but we were curious to see who was in the neighborhood. We haven't run into any company in a long time." Laurent said.

"No, this region is usually empty except for us and the occasional visitor, like yourselves." The tense atmosphere was noticeably ebbing, and I guessed that Jasper was using his peculiar gift to control the situation.

"Where's your hunting range?" Laurent casually inquired. My stomach clenched in anger at his blasé attitude, but Carlisle ignored the assumption behind the inquiry.