Chapter Eighteen:

CHAPTER EIGHTEEN:

“So you’ve known since the first time you saw us,” Edward mused, absently running his fingers through my hair. I hummed in agreement, and he chuckled slightly. “’Curiosity killed the bat’?” he quoted, and I gave a sheepish grin.

“You were annoying me.”

“And after the accident, in the hospital?” He continued.

“I was perfectly content with pretending that I hadn’t noticed you move faster then the speed of light,” I grumbled, “it was you who pushed me, with all the smart-ass remarks and telling the doctor that I hit my head really hard.”

“I suppose that was a touch mean,” he concedes, a smile still on his face.

“Just a bit?” I moan, “it was incredibly embarrassing. Everyone was staring!”

“You don’t like attention, do you?” he asks, amused.

“Hence hiding out in the library at lunch time.” I inform him.

“And the girl’s toilets when you were avoiding me.” He added, before he frowned slightly. “Why were you avoiding me?”

“Ah.” I say, shifting slightly, uncomfortable. I could feel the heat rise up on my cheeks, and I determinedly looked away, even as he tried to turn my chin so I was facing him.

“Come on,” he coaxed, his voice the perfect amount of sweet and pleading.

“It’s embarrassing.” I grumble, making the mistake of looking up at him. He gives me puppy dog eyes, and I instantly melt. “I dreamt about kissing you,” I blurt out, before I can stop myself, before my cheeks flame red. “Tease me, and you die.” I warn him, as he opens his mouth to respond. He smiles gently at me.

“I wasn’t going to tease you, Bella.” I raise my eyebrows at him, and he smiles wider. “Okay, maybe a little,” he concedes, “but I was going to ask you you…” he hesitates, and I shoot him an intrigued look.

“You made me tell, now it’s you’re turn.” I order him.

“Bossy little thing,” he murmurs, rolling his eyes at me affectionately. “I just…  why did you start speaking to me again? Your first instinct was to stay away- why didn’t you?”

I hesitate, for several moments, before sighing and answering truthfully. “Because I couldn’t stay away.” Silence for a few seconds, and then:

“That makes two of us.” Edward whispers, and suddenly my body is moving without my permission, and my lips are just about attacking Edward’s. We kiss, this time without the desperation and the hunger, but with a quiet, but all consuming passion.

As I kiss him, I try to tell him without words how I feel. What I’m too scared to say. And then he moves back slightly, putting the small distance between us of a few inches, and he murmurs, tender eyes meeting mine, what I couldn’t say.

“I love you.”

-

That evening, my body felt like it was humming with electricity. So many conflicting emotions were running through me, that I didn’t know what to feel.

After his declaration, we’d kissed again, and then sat together, in silence, just enjoying each other’s company. It was perfect, pressed against him, occasionally engaging in a bout of ‘snogging’, as all my English friends would say.

He’d then given me the terrifying experience of how vampires travelled, sprinting through the forest at the speed of light while I clung to him, petrified.