Chapter Twenty:

CHAPTER TWENTY:

The first thing I really noticed, as Edward pulled up at the end of the miles long driveway, was the porch. I mean, it was an inviting looking house, gorgeous really, but it was the porch that drew me. It was covered, deep enough to sit on even in the rain and stay dry. That was important in a place like Forks, no point in a porch if it didn't protect from the rain. The house, well the mansion, was three stories tall, and seemed big, but then they had a lot of people living in it. "I wish I had a porch." I found myself saying, a wistful tone in my voice.

"And that's the first thing you say." Edward shakes his head, a smile playing across his face. I scowl.

"There will be no mocking of the human." I tell him, sternly. He laughs.

I have to admit I'm slightly nervous as I walk up the driveway, and Edward rubs soothing circles with his thumb on the back of my hand.

He opens the door for me, and I step inside then stop, just passed the entryway, surprised by the feel of my magic flaring up around me, almost violently. I'd gotten used to Edward, to the point where his presence was more of a thrumming, but this... this made me want to stagger backwards, and get the hell out of dodge. "Bella?" I heard Edward say, anxiously, "are you alright?"

"Yeah, yeah, fine," I say, my voice verging on breathless. "Um, just... dizzy spell." I take a few seconds to push away my magic the best I can, before looking up and shooting him my most innocent smile- which he doesn't believe one iota. Before I turn pink, I quickly look around, taking in the beautiful room. "It's... wow." I say, a smile on my face. The first room you stepped into when entering the house was a large living space, one that older houses never had- and I'd been in a few.

The flooring was all a rather light color, mostly wood, and it made the room seem even more spacious. The furniture was perfect, modern, clean lines, so different from the furniture I'd grown used to at Hogwarts. I glanced around at the ceiling, and noticed the beams. It had been remodeled, there used to be walls, I noted.

The most striking thing about the huge room though, was the entire wall of windows on the back side of the room. "Oh," I took a step towards it, taking in the amazing view. "Wow!"

"So I'm guessing you like it." Edward said, a soft smile playing on the corners of his mouth.

"It's beautiful." I told him, honestly. "I've been in old houses before... but this is... this is really something else."

"I'm so glad you like it." A beautiful, melodious voice says, and I turn around, a touch startled, to see Edward's 'parents'. I'd seen Doctor Carlisle before, of course, and then at his side was the vampire I assumed was Esme. She had the same pale, beautiful features as the rest of them.

Something about her heart-shaped face and her billows of soft, caramel-colored hair niggled at the back of my mind, reminding me of someone, but I couldn't quite put my finger on who. I puzzled over it for a moment, then pushed it to the back of my head to think about later.

"Carlisle, Esme," Edward's voice broke the short silence, "this is Bella." His voice is proud, happy, and the sound of it makes me want to blush.

"You're very welcome, Bella." Carlisle's step was measured, careful, as he approached me. It was slightly annoying how tentative he was as he raised his hand to shake mine. Esme was more confident, no hesitation in her gentle grasp, though she was equally as careful.

"It's nice to see you, Dr. and Mrs. Cullen." I say, my voice, expression and posture the epitome of politeness.

"Please, call me Carlisle." Carlisle says, and Esme's smile is sweeter then toffee as she says,