Chapter Thirteen:

CHAPTER THIRTEEN:

“So why aren’t you at the cafeteria?”

I blinked. “Um, what?”

“The cafeteria. You never eat there. Why?” Edward asked.

“Are you kidding me?” I exclaimed, “we just kissed and that’s the first thing you say?” Edward’s expression turns apologetic.

“I’m sorry, Bella, it’s just… I have so many questions and I’m so used to being able to just hear the answers.” I frown.

“What do you mean?”

“Well… you see… I can hear people’s thoughts.” Edward admitted, in a voice that sounded sheepish.

“What?” I gasped, my eyes widening, panic racing through me. Oh my god! What had he heard?

“Relax!” He quickly intervened, lifting up his hands in an ‘I surrender’ position, “I can read people’s thoughts- all people’s. Except for yours.” I relax, immediately.

“Thank god,” I sigh. Edward’s mouth twists into a wry smile.

“You have no idea how frustrating it is. You’re the first person I’ve ever crossed paths with whose mind I can’t hear.”

Hmm, I muse, I wonder why that is? Is it a natural defense Wizarding kind have against vampires? I’ve never read anything about it- I’ve read about how when a vampire is Turned, some of them gain Gifts, special abilities. Super powers, I guess you could call them.

“So am I going to get my answer?” Edward’s amused voice breaks my thoughts. I jolt slightly and give him a sheepish smile, my cheeks heating up slightly.

“Sorry, what?” He chuckles, softly.

“Why don’t you eat in the cafeteria?” I pull a face.

“Urgh, with all the others? They drive me crazy.” I admit. Edward laughs, again.

“They are very-” he hesitates, searching for a word.

“Small-minded, hypocritical, bitchy, nosey-parkers?” I suggest.

“Well… yes.” He concedes, with a small smile.

“I can’t stand them. Well, most of them. Angela’s nice. I don’t know why she hangs out with that awful Jessica and Lauren. They’re the cliché Mean Girls of the school. Sugary sweet, backstabbing bitches. Real Slytherins.” I mutter the last part under my breath, forgetting that I’m talking to a vampire, and he can hear every word. 

“Slytherins? What are Slytherins?” Edward asks, tilting his head.

“’Or perhaps in Slytherin, you’ll make your real friends, those cunning folk use any means, to achieve their ends’.” I quote. Edward doesn’t look any less confused, and I laugh. “Never mind, private joke.”

“You are so strange.” Edward muses, looking at me with a type of intense emotion that makes my eyes widen slightly, at my cheeks flush. I clear my throat.

“So… um…”

“Come to lunch with me. You need to eat something.” Edward says, suddenly. I open and shut my mouth several times, not sure what to say. He fixes me with a pleading look, his eyes like melted butterscotch. “Please Bella?”

“Uh! You’re so infuriating!” I grumble, hauling myself to my feet with a pout. “Fine!” A beautiful smile graces his face.

-