Chapter Twelve:

CHAPTER TWELVE:

Edward's entire body stiffens, and I have to fight the urge to inch back. His expression is changing to quickly for me to read, and his eyes are blank. I slump again, against the bed- this was not how I was expecting my evening to go.

"Well?" I ask, after a long silence, "Are you going to say anything?" When he still doesn't respond, I sigh. "Edward, please calm down. I'm fond of my room. I don't want you destroying it." This seems to break through his shock, and his eyes narrow slightly as they fix on mine.

"You're fond of your room? That's all you can say? Nothing about how I'm a monster? How I'm not even human?" I reach out, clasping on to one of his hands before he can jerk it away. I suspected that the only reason I got close enough to do so was because he was expecting me to push him away, or something.

"Look at me," I order, trying to sound more confident then I really am. My voice, fortunately, doesn't portray the nerves twisting in my stomach. He does, and his honey-gold eyes are so tortured that I have to suck in a breath. "Edward, I don't care that you're a vampire." He actually flinches slightly when I finally say it out loud. "It doesn't matter to me."

"It doesn't matter?" His face is incredulous, with a hint of anger.

"No," I said softly, "it doesn't matter to me what you are." He holds my gaze for several angry seconds, before sighing.

"You are infuriating," he says, his voice slightly rueful. I smile, a small smile but a smile nonetheless.

"You're not the first one to say that." There's a few long moments of silence, and then I realize that I'm still holding Edward's hand. A blush instantly heats up my cheeks, and I quickly let go of his hand, and look down at my lap. He's the one who breaks the silence.

"Don't you have any questions?" My brow furrows, and I look back up at him.

"Questions?"

"Yes, questions," his voice his patient, "like how I can come out during the day, or how come I don't burn in the sun."

"Actually, I do have one question," I purse my lips slightly, "how old are you?"

"That's you question?" His voice is incredulous again, and then he just sighs and shakes his head. "Of course it is." I smile at him.

"That's not an answer, you know."

"I'm seventeen." He flashes a pearly white smile at me. I roll my eyes.

"And how long have you been seventeen?"

"A while." He admits, after a few seconds. I can't help but smile slightly.

"A while, huh?"

"A long while." He agrees, "now it's my turn." His expression turns more serious. "How do you know about vampires?" I immediately look down again, at my lap. My mind races, trying to come up with an explanation other then 'I'm a witch and I learned about your species in my Defense Against the Dark Arts class at Hogwarts, the magical school I go to- or I did go to. Right now I can't because the Wizarding World has been taken over by a mass-murdering sociopath who hates muggle-borns- that's witches with non-magical parents- and wants to wipe us out, and if any of them catch me I'll either be killed or locked away in Azkaban, which is almost a fate worse then death'.

"I can't tell you," I say, finally, still not looking up- as desperately as I tried to scramble together a plausible explanation, none were coming to me.

"Bella-" I lift a hand, making him pause, and look up again.

"I respected your secret, Edward. From the first time I laid eyes on you, I knew what you were, but I never said anything! Can you please respect mine?" He looks at me, for a long, long moment, before he sighs and nods his head.