Chapter Twenty-Nine:

CHAPTER TWENTY-NINE:

I pushed my terror back, determined to keep as clear a head as possible. It was clear that I had no choice now, but one: go to the mirrored room to meet James.

I took several deep breathes, then walked over to my go-bag, and pulled my wand out of my sleeve. I took a few moments to stare at it, to gently run my fingers over the carved wood, before placing it inside. If I brought it with me to face James, I'd be too tempted to use it. And it was twelve days, now, until I could use magic.

Anguish rolled through me, and I clenched my hands into fists. Twelve fucking days. I'd waited three months to use magic; I'd survived over two and a half months without it, while in hiding, only to die twelve fucking days before I could use it again.

I stripped out of my clothes, changing into a fresh set, more appropriate for Arizona's weather. Knee-length shorts, a V-neck singlet, and a pair of flats. I combed my hair with my fingers, before pulling it up into a ponytail, then took a long moment to calm myself the best I could, before walking into the living room.

"Is she okay?" Alice asked me, instantly, and I lied flawlessly.

"She didn't want to leave the house, but I got her to in the end. She agreed to stay in a hotel a few hours away for the next week."

"I'm glad she's safe." Alice said, with a bright smile. I shrugged, and went to make my way over to the sofa, when I paused by the table, noticing a blank page of the hotel stationery. I went over to it slowly, a plan forming in my head.

"Alice, if I write a letter to Charlie, would you get it to him?" I ask. She looks a touch confused but agrees.

"Of course, Bella." I give her a strained smile, before going into the bedroom again, and kneeling next to the little bedside table to write.

Edward, I wrote, feeling an odd sense of calm wash over me, I love you. And I am so, so sorry. James has Renée, and I know it may not work, but I have to try. Don't be angry with Alice and Jasper- if I get away from them it will be a miracle. Thank them both for me, please. They've been wonderful.

There are so many things I wish I could have told you. So many things that I wish I'd told you, a long time ago. I'm sorry I kept it from you, and even more sorry that I can never tell you face to face. But I want you to know, that I've wanted to tell you. I've wanted to tell you for so long.

If you want to learn the truth, go to Charlie. Tell him that Death Eaters took me. And tell him that I asked him to tell you everything. To explain my world to you.

I also need you to tell him that one day Luna might contact him, and if she does, I need him to tell her I love her and that I've missed her. And that she was the most wonderful best friend I could have ever asked for.

Maybe one day you'll be able to meet her. I think you'd like her. And if you do meet her, tell her about James. Tell her everything. She'll know what to do.

I love you. Forgive me.

Bella.

I folded the letter carefully, and sealed it in the envelope. Eventually Edward would find it. I knew he would. I just hoped Charlie would be able to answer any questions he had.

And I hoped Edward would forgive me from keeping it from him- what I am. A witch.

-

-

The time it took to write the letter felt like an eternity, but as I returned to Alice, I realized only a few minutes had passed. Jasper still hadn't come back, and I curled up on the couch, knotting my hands together.