Chapter Thirty-One:

CHAPTER THIRTY-ONE:

The International Statute of Wizarding Secrecy (also known as Statute of Secrecy) is a law in the wizarding world that was first signed in 1689, then established officially in 1692. The law was laid down by the International Confederation of Wizards to safeguard the wizarding community.

"No witch or wizard shall ever inform any species of near-human intelligence of the existence of magic unless said species is cleared by the Department of Magical Creatures. Should any decide to do so, they will be subject to discipline by the International Confedaration of Wizards."

-Clause 39, International Statute of Wizarding Secrecy

-

-

The smell was the first thing I noticed. It was hospital smell, a very distinct odor. I let out a low moan, keeping my eyes squeezed tightly shut. I must be in the hospital wing. "Luna... what happened?" I mumbled. A cold, gentle touch, long fingers tucking a strand of hair behind my ear.

"Bella?" the voice was soft, musical. "Are you awake?" Confused, my eyes fluttered open to a bright, white light. I was in an unfamiliar room, a white room- a room that was definitely not the Hogwarts hospital wing. I was propped up on a hard, uneven bed with rails. The pillows were flat and lumpy, and there was an annoying beeping sound somewhere close by.

My hands were all twisted up with clear tubes, and something was taped across my face, under my nose. I lifted my hand to rip it off, but cool fingers stopped me.

"No, you don't." The musical voice from before said.

"Edward?" I asked, turning my head slightly and squinting. His exquisite face was just inches from mine, his chin resting on the edge of my pillow. "Where am I?" I asked, confused.

"The hospital, love."

The memories hit me harder then James had, and I recoiled in the bed, stunned.

A vampire had bitten me. I'd used magic, albeit accidently. I'd set off the Trace. Snatchers could have caught me.

And I'd almost died.

"Oh Edward..." A sob caught in my throat, "I'm so sorry!"

"Shhh," he shushed me. "Everything's all right now."

"I was such a- a dunderhead!" I groaned. "I thought he had Renée."

"He tricked us all." Edward stroked my hair.

"And the Snatchers... is everyone okay?" I pleaded.

"Are Snatchers the people we were running from?" Edward asked. I tried nodding, but it hurt too much.

"Yes." I whisper. An icy hand cups my cheek.

"I heard a group of men arrive, but I got us away." Edward assured me. I let out a sigh of relief.

"Thank god." I then shifted, wincing as it sent bolts of pain through me. "When did you arrive?" I asked, my voice quiet.

"In time to see you set James on fire. With gold flames. Or, at least, I'm assuming it was you." Edward stated. I cringed slightly.

"I guess you have some questions."

"The questions can wait, Bella," his voice his soft, his expression gentle, "you're hurt, tired, and groggy from the pain medication. Sleep. We can talk later."

"No," I tell him, determinedly. I try to sit up, but the spinning in my head accelerates, and his hand gently pushes me down onto the pillows. "I've waited long enough. I want to tell you. I was going to. Was planning to. And then James rang, and I thought he had my mother." I shudder.