Chapter Fourteen:

CHAPTER FOURTEEN:

We didn’t get a chance to test Edward’s tutoring, as Mr. Banner decided to pull out a heavy, outdated TV and VCR out to play a boring tape that I struggled to follow, and left me frustrated.

“It’s horrible!” I groan to Edward, as Mr. Banner switches the lights back on at the end of class. Edward gives me a sympathetic smile.

“We’ve got tutoring tonight, don’t worry, you’ll understand it in no time.” He walked me to my next class, ever the gentleman, and paused outside the locker room. His face startled me- his expression was torn, almost pained, and so fiercely beautiful that I just about ached to touch him.

My goodbye stuck in my throat as he raised his hand, hesitant, and swiftly brushed the length of my cheekbone with his fingertips. His skin was as icy as ever, but the trail his fingers left on my skin was just the opposite. He then smiled, a small smile, turned and left without a word, striding quickly away from me.

I sucked in a few deep breaths, before drifting into the locker room to change, feeling embarrassingly light-headed and wobbly.

As I entered the gym, a racket was shoved into my hand and Coach Clapp ordered us all to pair up into teams. Unfortunately, I got stuck with the Mike boy.

I managed to avoid conversation for most of the game, until the coach blew the whistle ending the class, and he stuck himself to my side as we walked off the court. “So,” he said, “you and Cullen, huh?” His tone was rebellious, and I felt my hackles rise up.

“Exactly how is it any of your business?” I asked, in my iciest voice possible.

“I don’t like it.” He states. I look at him incredulously.

“You don’t bloody well have to!” I snap. “Look, I barely know you. What I do is none of your business.” The idiotic, stubborn boy continues on, however.

“He looks at you like… like you’re something to eat,” he states. I actually laugh at that, unable to completely choke back the hysteria that threatened to explode. He glowered at me, but I couldn’t give a damn, and kept laughing as I half-jogged into the locker room.

By the time I walked out of the gym, into the car park, it was mostly empty, and I was surprised to see Edward leaning against my truck, even as butterflies erupted in my stomach. “Your siblings ditch you?” I ask.

“Tutoring.” He reminds me.

“Right.” I mumble, sheepishly.

As I start up the engine, he starts talking. “I’ve had a thought.” I pull a fake-worried expression on my face.

“Did it hurt?” He rolls his eyes.

“Very funny Bella.”

“I thought so.” I snicker. He rolls his eyes again.

“You have a very quick mind.” I can’t help but feel buffered by his comment, until my smile falls, and my mood plummets.

“Except I’m going to fail Biology.”

“You won’t fail- I won’t let you.” He promises, before shaking his head slightly. “Where were we?”

“You had a thought.” I remind him.

“Ah. Yes, well, about this Saturday. I was wondering whether you were intending to tell your father where you’re going.”

“With Charlie less is usually more.” I tell him, lips twitching into a half smile, half grimace. “I don’t really want to have that conversation with him yet.” Edward’s eyes narrowed infinitesimally, his expression growing guarded.