Chapter Twenty-Five:

CHAPTER TWENTY-FIVE:

The drive was silent. Charlie was waiting up for me, and all the house lights were on. I took a deep breath as Edward pulled up slowly, all three vampires ramrod straight as they listened acutely to every sound, looking through every shadow, catching every scent, searching for something out of place.

"The tracker's not here yet," Alice said finally, quietly, "but he will be. Time to go, Bella. Be as quick as you can."

"Edward, stay here," I tell him, when he looks like he's about to move. I can't have him in with me when I'm about to handle obviously magical items.

"What?" Edward demands, honestly confused, and definitely upset. "No!" He then says, fixing me with a hard look, "that is not going to happen."

"Alice, will anything happen to me while I'm getting my things and telling Charlie I'm going?" Alice concentrates for a moment, then shakes her head.

"She'll be fine, Edward." Edward's face is still stubbornly set.

"Edward please," I try a different tact, and give him the most pleading expression I can muster, "please just trust me on this!" Edward's mouth turns down.

"Be quick. If you're not out in ten minutes, I'm coming in."

I nod at him, deciding now isn't a good time to mention that he probably shouldn't be with me when I leave Forks.

"I love you." I tell him, and his face immediately softens.

"I love you too Bella." He says. He reaches over and helps me out of the harness, and I give his shoulder a lingering touch before opening the door and jumping down, stumbling slightly as I landed. I took a deep breath, then half-jogged to the front door, and shoved it open.

"Charlie!" I shrieked, letting desperation tinge my voice. Charlie, who had been hovering in the living room, was by my side in a second.

"Bella? What's wrong?" he demanded, frantically.

"Charlie, I can't explain, but they've found me! They've found me! I have to get out of here!" I let my voice climb in hysteria, and Charlie's expression is horrified.

"Who's found you? The Dea-" I interrupt him before he can finish.

"Yes, they've found me, and I have to go. I have to go." I run up the stairs, Charlie hot on my heels.

I ran to my bed, flinging myself on the floor to drag my emergency go-bag out from under my bed. I'd made up the go-bag with several of my favorite books, tooth-brush, tooth-paste, hairbrush and two changes of clothes in the event that I had to leave Forks in a hurry. I just hadn't imagined it quite like this. Running from a vampire, not Snatchers or Death Eaters.

I throw my bag over my shoulder, and hurry to my side table, yanking it open and grabbing my wand, shoving it down my sleeve. Charlie stood, helplessly, in the doorway, watching me. I patted my jeans, checking that my DA galleon was still safely in my pocket, and rushed over to launch myself in Charlie's arms.

He staggered back slightly, surprised by the sudden weight. I hugged him as tight as my arms could manage. "I love you dad." I tell him fiercely, "no matter what happens to me, I love you so, so, so much. Living here has been... amazing. Living with you has been amazing. I'll miss you, so, so much."

"Bella, what are you talking about?" Charlie asked, his voice choking slightly, "I'm coming with you, baby."

"I'm sorry dad, but you can't." I tell him, shaking my head, tears beginning to run down my cheeks.