Chapter Eight:

CHAPTER EIGHT:

It was Wednesday before Charlie would let me go back to school, and when I did, much to my dismay, I found myself the center of attention for the rest of that week.

Tyler was impossible, following me around, obsessing with making amends to me somehow. I tried to convince him what I wanted more then anything else was him to forget all about it- especially as nothing had actually happened to me- but he remained insistent. He even followed me to the library at lunch, nearly causing me to lose my temper and shout at him to leave me the hell alone.

I didn't, but I half wish I had.

Edward was being...well, standoffish. I'd greeted him politely in Biology, and he'd just inclined his head, before turning back to the teacher. Seeing as we didn't have any labs, there was no absolutely necessary need for us to communicate, and he was definitely taking advantage of that.

I wasn't a Ravenclaw for nothing, I knew why he was giving me the cold-shoulder -he'd risked exposure on Monday, to save my life, and then I'd been stupid and made the comment about how I thought he'd been on the other side of the parking lot. So now he was trying to distance us- not that we had much contact in the first place.

Something I found myself surprisingly upset about- almost as upset as the fact he was pretending I didn't exist.

That didn't change until Friday. I got to Biology a few minutes early, and saw that he was already seated. He was the only person in the classroom, which made me hesitate for a few seconds, before I made myself walk over calmly and sit down beside him.

"Hello Edward." I greeted him. He turned his head a fraction towards me, without meeting my gaze, nodded once, and then looked the other way. I narrowed my eyes slightly, but forged on. "So... you mentioned something about tutoring, last week. I was wondering if that was still... an option."

Finally, he turned and actually looked at me. "Right. The tutoring." His voice was flat. I fought the urge to grit my teeth, instead plastered a sarcastic smile on my face.

"Oh my god! He can talk!" I exclaim, throwing my hands up in the air. His eyes narrowed slightly, before his mouth twitched into a smile.

"I'm sorry. I'm being very rude, I know. But it's better this way." His voice, and expression, was sincere. And he was right- it was better this way. If only I could make my heart realize that.

Wait, heart? Where the hell did that come from?

Well, he did save your life- while risking exposing himself, a little voice reminds me. And when he's not being a gigantic pain in the ass, he's actually quite nice. And his eyes...

I cleared my throat, pulling my mind back to the present. "Um, sorry, what? Didn't catch that." I tell him.

"I said... it's better this way." He repeats.

"Oh. Right. That crap." I nod. His lips twitch again, although he tries to put on a serious expression.

"I'm being serious."

"So am I," I tell him, "I need a Biology tutor. I don't care if you want to be friends or not," my heart thuds slightly at that, because yes, I do care, "but I'm going to fail this unless I get help, and you're the only person here I can talk to without wanting to pull out all my hair. Besides Angela, she's nice, but she doesn't do Biology." I sigh.

Edward's expression is torn. "Come on!" I find myself pleading, "do you want me to fail? Stop being an ass and help me! Dammit, I'll pay you and everything!"

"That's not necessary." He said, instantly, and I grin.

"So that's a yes?" He sighs, and runs a hand through his already messy hair.