Chapter Nine:

CHAPTER NINE:

Thoroughly spooked by my dream, I did the only thing I could think of. I distanced myself from Edward. Over the next month, despite the fact my grades suffered for it, I stopped the Biology tutoring sessions. I made sure to arrive at school just in time for the bell, arrive at each class on the bell, leave each class on the bell, and hide in the girl's loos at lunch. I kept any conversations we had clipped and short.

It was so much harder then I thought, as I found myself missing his company. I missed his smile, his laughter, and the warmth in his gaze.

To keep distracted, I buried myself in schoolwork. I spent everyday after school doing my high school homework, and then some more, and my weekends going through my Hogwarts course books, wanting to keep up to date on everything, even if I wasn't at the school I loved. And whenever I wasn't doing schoolwork, I was tuning into Potterwatch to learn what was happening in the world I'd fled.

I was tired, drained, and seriously lacking in the fun department. And my sleeping wasn't getting any better. If I wasn't dreaming of Edward, I was having nightmares, waking up screaming. The nightmares were getting worse, as Potterwatch had begun listing the names of the dead. A list consisting mostly with muggle-borns who were on the run and found by Snatchers or Death Eaters.

It was about a month after the van incident, and I was trudging to Home Ec. when the Mike boy caught up with me. "Hi Bella!" he grinned, as if we were best buds.

"Mike." I nodded, hoping my voice didn't sound quite as dull as I felt. Even if it was, Mike didn't seem at all deterred, walking beside me and chatting on the way to Biology, not put off at all by my one word answers. We'd just entered the classroom, when he finally breached the topic.

"So, the school dance is in two weeks," he started.

"That's nice." I reply, sitting down heavily at my desk, electrically aware of Edward sitting close enough to touch.

"I know it's a girl's choice, but I was wondering whether you wanted to ask me." Mike stated. I blinked. From the corner of my eye, I could see Edward's head tilt reflexively in my direction.

"Um, I'm not going." I say, after several long, awkward seconds of silence.

"Why not?" Mike demanded.

"I'm going to Seattle that Saturday." I lie, without even hesitating.

"Can't you go some other weekend?" Mike asks, looking put out.

"Sorry, no. You better go to your seat- Mr. Banner just arrived." I informed him.

"Okay." Mike mumbles, turning around and walking back to his seat. I close my eyes and press my fingers to my temples.

"Damn them all." I mutter under my breath, before sighing and opening my eyes as Mr. Banner starts talking. I'm very careful to not meet Edward's curious gaze, not that it seemed to put him off. He just continued staring with probing intensity.

Gym was brutal, and it was a relief to leave. I almost ran to the truck, just wanting to go home and try to tune in to Potterwatch. I missed the magical world so much, it actually hurt. Everyday I kept my DA galleon in my pocket, everyday I kept my wand within arm's reach.

Unfortunately, when I rounded the corner I almost had a stroke as I saw- um, either his name was Aaron or Eric- leaning against my truck. Oh god, what did he want? He waited until I was a few feet away before greeting me. "Hi Bella."

"Hi." I responded, wracking my brain for his name. "Um, what's up?" I asked, giving up, and starting to search through my bag for my keys.

"Uh, I was wondering if you would go to the school dance with me?" his voice broke slightly at the last word.