Chapter Twenty-Seven:

CHAPTER TWENTY-SEVEN:

The day passed slowly.

I was used to stress, ugly as that sounded, and I put into practice all the techniques I'd built up to help myself cope with it. I occupied myself for hours reading bits and pieces of the books I'd packed- Hogwarts: A History- Volume XVII, New Theory of Numerology, The Dark Forces: A Guide to Self-Protection, A Compendium of Common Curses and Their Counter-Actions, my Biology text-book and Wuthering Heights. I had a long shower. I wrote letters to Luna, Sue, Isobel and Ginny, letters that I tore up afterwards and soaked in water, so the vampires in the next room couldn't read them.

It was nearing the end of the day when I found myself gravitating back into the living room of the hotel suite, towards Alice and Jasper. "Are you feeling okay?" Alice asked, her voice sweet. I shrug.

"As okay as I can feel." She smiles.

"I guess that's the best we can ask for."

"What do you think they're doing?" I ask, settling down on the couch. Alice looks thoughtful.

"Carlisle wanted to lead the tracker as far North as possible, wait for him to get close, and then turn and ambush him," she thinks, outloud, "Esme and Rosalie were supposed to head west as long as they could keep the female behind them. If she turned around, they were to head back to Forks and keep an eye on your dad. Since they haven't called, I can guess that things are going well. It means the tracker is close enough that they don't want him to overhear."

"Makes sense," I sigh, "they could text though." Alice giggles softly.

"You're very good for us, Bella. We adapt the best we can to the changing world, but our interactions with humans are so limited, we never truly get a grasp on the new ways of thinking," she explains, a slightly bemused smile on her face, "it never even crossed my mind to text." I give a half smile.

"Welcome to the twenty first century." Alice smiles again.

"Can I ask you a question?" she asks.

"As long as it's not related to... what I'm going to tell Edward the next time I see him." I answer, carefully.

"Why have you never asked about the transformation?" she asks instantly, looking curious, "I thought you'd want to know all about it, how it works, how we were all Turned... I heard you talking to Esme in the field, you didn't know anything about her and the cliff. You hadn't asked anything about how we became vampires. I mean, that's why she mentioned it, she assumed you'd have asked Edward. Aren't you at all curious?"

Alice isn't the only one looking at me now, Jasper has turned around in his seat to look at me, obviously also interested in my answer. A normal person would be curious, I realize. A normal person in love with a vampire would want to become a vampire. They'd want to know everything about being Turned.

I decide to answer Alice with a half-truth. "I love Edward, and if he offered to Turn me, I'd want to say yes, I'd want to with every fiber of my being. But with what's going on in my life," in my world, "right now, I couldn't." I tell her, speaking as honestly as I can. She tilts her head.

"You're a very interesting girl, Bella Swan." She states. My lips curve into a sad smile.

"And that's my curse."

Alice looks like she's going to open her mouth, say something else, but then she moves to her feet, in a movement so swift I don't even see it happening, don't register it until she's already standing. My head jerked as I lift my head to stare at her, startled. "Something's changed." Her voice was urgent, and she wasn't talking to me anymore. Jasper was by her side in a second, his hands on her shoulders, gently pushing her back onto the chair.