Chapter Thirty:

CHAPTER THIRTY:

A small handwritten notice was blue-tacked to the door, explaining the dance studio was closed for spring break. I wasn't at all surprised to find the door unlocked, and I strode in like I owned the place.

I wasn't scared of James. He might be the monster that killed me, but he wasn't the scariest one I'd ever faced. I'd fought Death Eaters, seen Voldemort, and confronted Boggarts and Dementors. I'd ridden a thestral, walked a blast-ended screwt on a lead and survived five terrifying years of being taught by Professor Snape.

James might be about to take my life, but he didn't frighten me. He just pissed me off.

The lobby was dark and empty, cool, the air conditioning thrumming. The plastic molded chairs were stacked along the walls and the carpet smelled like shampoo. The west dance floor was dark, I could see through the open viewing window. The east dance floor however, the bigger room, was lit.

I knew James was in here. I could feel it; the sharp, intense humming of my magic, twisting inside me, warning me of his presence. Without pausing, I strode straight towards the open door. The humming grew stronger, and I had to grit my teeth against it.

And then Renée's voice called.

"Bella? Bella?" It was the same tone of hysterical panic I'd heard on the phone, and I broke into a run, sprinting towards the sound of her voice, only to stop, short, as I saw the origin.

There she was, on the TV screen, calling out to an eight-year-old me. I remembered that day. We'd gone to see my grandmother in California. We went to the beach one day, and I'd leaned too far over the edge of the pier. She'd seen my arms flailing, trying to reclaim my balance. 'Bella? Bella?' she'd called to me in fear. And then the film went haywire, as a burst of accidental magic had scrambled the video feed. My magic had saved me that day, moving me to safety.

A smile crossed my face, a relieved smile, as the screen went blue. I turned, smile still in place, towards where my magic was spiking.

He was standing very still by the back exit, in his hand a remote control. We stared at each other for a moment, and then he smiled back at me, walking forwards until he passed me, to put the remote down next to the VCR.

I watched his movements, turning so I didn't lose sight of him. "Sorry about that, Bella, but isn't it better that your mother didn't really have to be involved in all this?" His voice was courteous, kind, just like on the phone. I rolled my eyes.

"Would you look at that? We agree on something!" I exclaimed, in a tone of mock-surprise.

"You don't sound very angry that I tricked you." He noted. I snorted.

"I'm not." Because I wasn't- Renée was safe, wherever she was. I wasn't going to be the cause of my mother's death. Knowing this made what was about to come easier.

"How odd," James mused, his dark eyes assessing me with interested. The irises were nearly black, just a hint of ruby around the edges. He was thirsty. "You really mean it. I will give your strange coven this much, you humans can be quite interesting. I guess I can see the draw of observing you. It's amazing- some of you seem to have no sense of your own self-interest at all. And then there's your scent, my dear..." He inhaled deeply, nostrils flaring. "So... amazing." He sighed, a smile on his face. "It's almost a shame I have to kill you. Keeping you around would be a pleasure."

I waited, arms folded across my chest, an expression of boredom on my face. I wouldn't play along to his theatrics. "I suppose you're going to tell me that your boyfriend will avenge you?" he asked, hopefully. I smiled at him, a smug 'I know something you don't' smile, my eyes sharper then shattered glass.