Chapter Six:

CHAPTER SIX:

My escape from Hogwarts was one of the most terrifying experiences of my life.

There were seven of us altogether planning to escape, all of us muggleborns. We'd each received our summons at breakfast and everyone knew what happened to those who were summoned. Our only hope was to run, to hide– we were sitting ducks in the castle.

For once, my home away from home was a prison, not a sanctuary.

It was a combined effort, the escape– without the plan concocted by my Head of House, Professor Flitwick, that involved him, Professor McGonagall, Solly Honeyduke and Aberforth Dumbledore, it would have never worked.

We left the same day we received the summons. Just before midnight, Flitwick cast a temporary shrinking charm on our trunks set to last for twenty-four hours and then he and McGonagall somehow managed to temporarily take down the powerful enchantments closing the secret passage that led to Honeydukes.

After getting out of the school grounds, we'd followed the tunnel through to Honeydukes and from there, we'd hid in the sweets shop which Mr. Honeyduke had left open for us until sunrise when the curfew charm lifted. The sun was barely in the sky when we made our mad dash to Aberforth's pub. And then, one by one, he apparated us to where we needed to go.

Aberforth took me straight to an airport, like I requested. From there, I used the last of my muggle money to ring Charlie through a pay phone. I was terrified and almost started crying when he picked up I was so relieved.

"Dad, I need to get out of England," I'd told him, "I'm at the Devonshire Airport, but I have no money and I can't use magic andoh god!"

At this point I actually did start to cry. My whole body shook like a leaf and any second I was expecting a Death Eater or Snatcher to appear, to drag me to the Ministry and chain me up in front of the Muggle-Born Commission Registry.

"I'll get you out of there." Charlie had promised me, instantly, no questions asked.

And he had.

-

-

I called Charlie when dinner was ready and he sniffed appreciatively as he walked into the room. "Smells good, Bells."

"Thanks dad."

We ate in silence for a few minutes. It wasn't uncomfortable. Neither of us was bothered by the quiet. We were, I was quickly discovering, well suited for living together.

"So how was school today?" he asked, as he was taking seconds.

"It was okay." I shrugged.

"Made any friends?"

I made a slight face. "Not really. Although..." I hesitated for a few seconds, before diving in, wanting to get Charlie's impressions. "Do you know the Cullen family?"

"Dr. Cullen's family? Sure. Dr. Cullen's a great man." Charlie nodded, expression brightening somewhat.

"So... you like them?"

"Dr. Cullen is a brilliant surgeon who could probably work in any hospital in the world, and make ten times the salary he gets here," Charlie said, his voice getting a bit hot, "we're damn lucky to have him! I had my doubts when they first moved in, with all those adopted teenagers. I thought we might have some problems with them. But they're all very mature– I haven't had one speck of trouble from any of them and that's more than I can say for the children of some folks who have lived in this town for generations!"