Chapter Seventeen:

CHAPTER SEVENTEEN:

I ate breakfast that morning without tasting the food and dressed in a rush. My stomach was twisting itself into anxious knots, which was freaking me out a touch. Anxiously combing my fingers through my hair, I sat down on the sofa and tried to watch the morning news- unsuccessfully.

When the sound of knocking reached my ears, I had to hold myself back from flying towards the door. Instead, I walked over, ignoring the fact my heart was thrumming like a hummingbird.

I opened the door and was instantly greeted by a dazzling smile that took my breath away. He looked at me for a second then chuckled softly. I drew my brows together, suddenly worried. “What is it?” I asked, looking down to check if my clothes were stained.

“We match,” he told me, gesturing to my top. I looked down and realized the tan sweater I was wearing matched his own.

“Crap,” I mumbled, my cheeks going slightly pink. He reached out with one hand and gently touched the Ravenclaw pin on my collar.

“You wear that a lot,” he muses, “I don’t recognize the crest.”

“Um, it’s a family thing,” I mumbled, before locking the door behind me, and leading the way to my truck. As he walked around to the passenger side, he shot me a martyred expression. “We made a deal,” I remind him, smugly.

As I listened to his directions, my thoughts strayed again to the inner-debate I’d had last night. To tell him, or not to tell him? I wondered, before sighing heavily. Something cold touching my arm made me jolt slightly, and I turned to face Edward. His expression was a mix of curious and amused. “I hope I’m not that boring,” he teases, “I said your name almost three times.”

“Wrackspurts.” I shrug, a smile playing on the corners of my mouth as I observe his confused expression. It reminds me of the expression people wear around Luna. “Where are we going, anyway?”

“A place I like to go when the weather’s nice,” he answers, vaguely. “It’s a small hike.” He adds. I groan aloud.

“Hiking?”

“Yes, hiking.” He confirms, voice amused, “not a fan?”

“No,” I grumbled, “this place better be pretty spectacular.”

“It is.” He assures me.

The road he’d directed me to ended at a constricting thin foot trail with a small wooden marker. As I stepped out of the car I grimaced slightly, as the weather was warmer now, warmer then it had been in Forks since the day I’d arrived.

“Surely it was hotter in Phoenix,” Edward’s amused voice washes over me, as he correctly interprets the reason for the putout expression on my face. Maybe the fact I was glaring at the sky was a give-away.

“At least it wasn’t muggy there.” I retort. He chuckles, before starting to walk… away from the trail? “No trail?” I just about squeak.

“I won’t let you get lost.” He says, his expression annoyingly amused. I resist the urge to scowl.

“If I sprain my ankle, it’s all your fault.” I tell him, “and if you want me to hack five miles through the jungle before sundown, then you’d better start leading the way.”

It can’t be as bad as the Forbidden Forest, right? I try to convince myself, chewing my lip as he led the way.

I was right, it turns out. It wasn’t as hard as I’d expected- in fact, it was mostly flat. For the most part, we walked in silence. Occasionally he would ask a random question, and I would try to answer it as honestly as possible.