Chapter Nineteen:

CHAPTER NINETEEN:

The muted light of yet another cloudy day eventually woke me. I grumbled under my breath, throwing an arm over my eyes, feeling groggy and dazed, but at the same time, more well rested then I had in months. And then I felt a cold hand touch my cheek. “Holy crap!” I shrieked, jack-knifing into a sitting position, so fast my head spins. I open my mouth to scream when I recognize the amused face watching me, and the tingling of my magic. I glower at Edward, crossing my arms across my chest.

“Your hair looks like a haystack… I like it.” He says, a smile on his face. I make a growling sound under my breath, even as my hands reach up to pat down my hair.

“You take that back!” He chuckles, and threads his fingers through the knotted locks.

“Which part? The part where you look like you were standing in a hurricane, or the part where I think it makes you look gorgeous?” he smiles. I make another growling noise under my breath, even as my cheeks go pink.

“You suck.” I mutter, before my lips curl into a smile at my own words. “Pun a happy coincidence.” I add. He rolls his eyes, and I take a good look at him. “You changed your clothes,” I say, surprised.

“I could hardly leave in the clothes I came in- what would the neighbors think?” he said, a look of mock-horror on his face.

“Smart ass.” I grumble.

“You’re very grumpy in the mornings, aren’t you?” he chuckles. I pout, and he laughs softly, before wrapping his arms around me, and pulling me into a hug. I’m unable to hold back a happy sigh, and I rest my head against his chest, as his lips brush across the top of my head. “I love you.” He says softly.

“I know,” I smile, twisting in his arms so I’m facing him, and lifting up a hand to cup his cheek, to run my fingers along his sharp, icy jawline.

“You are my life now.” He whispers, no trace of humor in his eyes. He’s dead serious, and my heart stumbles slightly.

“I know,” I repeat, my voice a touch on the choked side. I want to tell him I love him. I want to tell him that he’s my life too. But I can’t. Because one day I’ll have to leave him. A day that’s approaching sooner every minute, every hour, every day that passes. My seventeenth birthday, in less then a month. Three small weeks. Three small, short weeks and then I’ll…

I’ll what? I’ll be able to use magic, but how is that supposed to help me? I’ll still be on the run. I’ll still have to hide.

I’ll still get to stay here with Edward!

I realized I was still staring at Edward, and he was watching, patiently, as my mind came back from a hundred miles away. I give him a small smile. “Sorry, just… thinking.” I murmur.

“Well, I guess it’s breakfast time.” He said with a smile. I let out a shocked gasp, my hands flying up to my throat, a horrified look on my face. Shock crossed his, and I started laughing.

“Kidding!” I snickered. He glowered.

“That wasn’t funny.”

“Yes it was.” I inform him, before wincing slightly as my stomach let out an angry grumble. “You’re right, though. Breakfast time for the human. We can talk about you later.” I wink at him, before jumping off the bed, laughing under my breath at the sounds he was making.

I fished a pair of jeans, a light blue shirt and a Ravenclaw Quidditch jersey out of my cupboard, as well as the very important undergarments, and hurried into the bathroom to get changed. “Give me a human moment!” I called back over my shoulder, before closing the door behind me.