Chapter Ten:

CHAPTER TEN:

When I get home, the first thing I do is make sure that all my witch stuff is locked in my trunk, which is shoved under my bed. I then change out of my, surprise-surprise, soaked clothes and into a pair of jeans and mauve sweater. As I pin my hair into a loose bun, I tell myself sternly that I'm not doing this to look good for Edward.

Which is a complete lie.

As I stare at my reflection, a tad self-conscious, I note that the rings under my eyes are darker, and my cheekbones are sharper then they should be. Stupid stress isn't just interfering with my sleep anymore, it's starting to make me lose weight. Weight I can't afford to be losing.

The doorbell rings, pulling me out of my anxious thoughts, and I walk slowly down the stairs and open the door. Edward is looking as gorgeous as ever, and seeing him automatically makes me feel lighter- I have to stop myself from grinning like a loon. I figured out why he wasn't in Biology- turns out we were doing blood typing. All I can say is it's a damn good thing that blood doesn't bother me anymore- old me would probably have either passed out or vomited. I used to have such a weak stomach.

"I've set up the books in the dining room." I tell him, before leading him over to the room with the three chairs and chipped oak table. We set up and he spends the first thirty minutes going over the concepts in detail, but in a way I can understand. He really is a good teacher. And just when I'm getting comfortable, he springs this on me.

"Do you not like me Bella?" he asks suddenly.

"Huh?" I ask, surprised, turning to look up at him. His expression is unusually somber looking. "Um..."

"You never speak to me outside of Biology or our tutoring sessions."

"I don't talk to anybody outside class." I correct him.

"You always keep a physical distance between us," he continues, like I didn't interrupt him, "you never say hello unless I've said hello first, and if I try making conversation, you just close off. I like you Bella. I want to get to know you." He looks at me, his expression painfully earnest.

"I... I can't." I tell him, my face strained.

"But why?" He asks, his voice soft. I stare into those beautiful, honey gold eyes and my breath hitches. I jump up to my feet.

"I need to go." I manage to get out, before spinning on my heels and fleeing up the stairs.

I know it's kind of pointless to run away from someone when they're in your house, because at some point you're going to have to go back down, but as I shut the door to my room and slump against it, that's the last thing on my mind.

I had to leave. I didn't have a choice. Because, I swear to Merlin, I was about to tell him. Tell him that not only did I like him- but I really liked him.

Far more then was safe for either of us.

-

-

Nearly twenty minutes passes before there's a gentle knock on my door. "Bella," Edward's velvety voice sounds heavy with regret, "I'm very sorry I made you uncomfortable. That wasn't my intention." I sigh.

"Come inside, Edward." I tell him. The door opens slowly, and he walks in, his face cautious. I'm leaning against my head, turning my DA galleon over and over in my hand. He stands a few feet inside the doorway, uncertain, his gaze flicking over to the empty bird-cage- Griselda's out hunting, probably.

Seeing his hesitation, I pat the carpet next to me, and he glides over and lowers himself to the ground. "Bella-" he begins, but I hold up a hand, interrupting him.